Thread: Snow

Thanks

Default Snow

Is there a way that the web cams can show snow fall better than they do now?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wx Spotter
    I'm confused if your kidding, as if there were snow up there, the webcam angles surely let you see it...I'm not sure what more you want/????

Thanks

I think I understand what you are asking. The webcams obviously show snow on the summit, but it is hard to tell if it is snowing and how much is on the ground.

There are several problems here. First, it is very hard for a camera to accurately show snow falling from the sky, especially when you are in the fog with zero visibility and the snow is flying by at 90mph.

Second, there is no true snow stake on the summit. So you aren't going to get a nice webcam shot of a huge "ruler" with snow climbing up its sides. Wind is the problem here. Some places on the summit have 20 feet of snow in drifts while most places are scoured clean.

Third, placing a webcam on the summit is no easy task. Due to the heavy riming all webcams are inside the building, behind heated glass. In the winter these heaters are running full power just to keep the windows free of ice, and sometimes they can't keep up. So their current locations have been carefully planned and are maintained at a significant expense to the Observatory.

My advice to is to keep looking at the webcams. When you get more familiar with the mountain you'll be able to interpret the images you see much better. You will learn what the deck or north view cams look like when there is significant snow on the ground.

Thanks

The MWO web cameras grab an image every 15 minutes and post it to the web site. So, seeing the snow fall is not possible. The web cameras I have at my house have a fast enough refresh rate I can see the snow falling.

At this point there is not much snow on the summit. As the winter gets started there will be more and more visible in each of the cameras' images. But, as others have said, with the strong winds on the summit, the snow does not stay around much. Most of it is blown into the ravines to the east of the summit.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012