Thread: highest windspeed ya ever experienced on top

Hybrid View

Thanks

Smile highest windspeed ya ever experienced on top

one time me and matty d and johnny b were up there in june i think it was and boy howdy it was a-blowin and a-howlin' fo' sho'! i'd say (actually i know cause i went inside and checked the gauges) it was blowin' steady around 80mph (homey don't play that kmh stuff!! ) with gusts up to i'd say a hunnert!! i got some photos somewheres of johnny b leanin' all the way back into it!! whooet!!!!

but i'm sure a lot of folks have been up there in even stronger winds.

(totally unrelated or maybe a little related since it has to do with wind and all, but one time in boulder colorado i knew this girl named dena and she was just a little ol' thing, probably not 80 lbs wet, and they have these chinook winds that roar down out of the canyons into town. well, dena was walkin' across this open plaza on the univ. of colo. campus and got blown over and tumbled around like a paper cup til i grabbed her! she was so traumatized she wouldn't leave her room for three days!! crazy times!!!)

Thanks

The fastest wind I've ever seen was a couple Januarys ago. It was so cold out the sunshine froze before it hit the ground. I got into four layers top and bottom with goggles, face mask, hat, down hood, wool socks, and industrial strength boots. As soon as I got beyond the protection of the A-frame I went down like a lead sail. The wind was a steady 90 MPH with gusts upwards of 110. The deck was clear of ice and snow but I still could not stand up. Facing into the wind made my cheeks feel like they were on fire. When facing away from the wind, the air was sucked from my lungs. I did the "crawl of shame" back to the tower door.

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Talinus
    It was so cold out the sunshine froze before it hit the ground. When facing away from the wind, the air was sucked from my lungs. I did the "crawl of shame" back to the tower door.
    duder! good one!! if yer in the mood for it, wind is fun. if not, not.

a coupla times i've been up top and there was NO wind at all! it's kinda creepy, but cool nonetheless!!!

Thanks

Thumbs up i'll huff an' i'll puff....

steady 75 mph wid 128 mph gusts, temps -30, alberta clipper moved in at 1 pm on the summit,complete whiteout on the way down. we were the olny ones up that day! caretaker at hojo's confirmed we were nuts
    GA -> ME "05"
    hi chickety!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Talinus
    The fastest wind I've ever seen was a couple Januarys ago. It was so cold out the sunshine froze before it hit the ground.
    i really like your phrase. The sunshine froze before it hit the ground. nice.
    5 Days 2007-2008

Thanks

139 In the Obs
    131 In the tower ring
    117 On the deck

Kanc 2001 Guest

~140mph in the obs Dec 2000

deck ~100mph

same in tower all in Dec 2000

Thanks

65 MPH,
    89 MPH peak speeds,