Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuckerman's Ravine - Sat 4/19

Thanks

Default Tuckerman's Ravine - Sat 4/19

Hi!

We had a great time in Tuckerman's Ravine on Saturday. It was an incredible day with lots of warm sunshine, lots of skiers and spectators. We'd never been into the bowl during ski season before, but even the veterans that we spoke to said that the crowd was much bigger than they'd seen in the past.

Our Trip Report can be found here.

Brad, we looked for you and your son, but no luck. You were obviously there hours before we were, based on your earlier postings. As we entered the bowl, we took an immediate 90-degree left and were up there sitting amongst the tree-tops.

Valerie

Thanks

That musta been great. I was hoping to go to Washington too yesterday, but my dad didn't want to. Did Jackson instead. Did you summit, or just stay in the Bowl?

What perfect weather yesterday, though, eh?

Thanks

What a great day - and excellent TR and photos as always! Nothing like being out in the snow in shorts.

Your photos really capture the atmosphere of a perfect Spring day in Tucks - particularly the panorama at the end.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Val, great report and wonderful pictures. I am still going through my pictures now. Some have started to be uploaded but will finish after church.

From where you had your mat Left Gully was on your left and a large rock. We were to the left of that rock and up a bit. In your pano we were to the left of the pirate flag. We left the area and started down at 12:30 PM. You captured the day and spirit of the event!
    Last edited by Brad; 04-20-2008 at 09:17 AM.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Did you say the helicopter rescued somebody off the headwall? Please elaborate. Does anybody have video of this?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe
    That musta been great. I was hoping to go to Washington too yesterday, but my dad didn't want to. Did Jackson instead. Did you summit, or just stay in the Bowl?

What perfect weather yesterday, though, eh?
    We just stayed in the bowl and watched the skiers. No aspirations for the summit that day. Jackson must have been a great hike too. Probably a few thousand less people How was that trail? Still holding together or also getting sloppy? Do you have pictures to share????

EDITED BY VAL: Just found your pictures on the other thread! Looks like you had beautiful views. Sorry the trail was so bad.

We couldn't have asked for better weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    We left the area and started down at 12:30 PM.
    Brad, you must have arrived before most of the crowd. Did you get into the parking lot at Pinkham? If you left the bowl at 12:30, then you were probably fighting against the waves of people who were still coming up the trail. That must have been tight. We decided to wait it out until the tide seemed to start flowing the other way. Still it was challenging when we did come across people coming up from the shelter. Snow was getting softer too.

Valerie
    Last edited by Tim&Val; 04-20-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Did you say the helicopter rescued somebody off the headwall? Please elaborate. Does anybody have video of this?
    This is all I know...

The radio of the ranger sitting behind me starting going crazy. He got up and headed away in a big hurry. We hadn't seen anyone injured while skiing, so we didn't know what was up. Less than 5 minutes later, a black helicopter with a red cross on it came up from the direction of Rt 16 and right over the bowl. It went out of sight above the lip and was gone for just a couple minutes. Then it was back across the bowl again and gone.

When I said "top of the headwall", I may have misled. It was not close enough to the edge for us to see what was going on. My supposition that someone was being rescued was based on circumstantial evidence.

This was probably about 12:30pm.

Thanks

I understand now. If it was gone for just a couple minutes maybe it didn't rescue anybody. That's very fast to set down and pick somebody up in a non-hostile environment. I guess we'll find out.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

We just stayed in the bowl and watched the skiers. No aspirations for the summit that day. Jackson must have been a great hike too. Probably a few thousand less people How was that trail? Still holding together or also getting sloppy? Do you have pictures to share????

It really was great, but the trail was absolutely dismal. Hardest hiking I've ever done. I kept slipping off the trail into deep snow on either side. Closer to the summit, it was so deep that I'd sink to mid-chest. I'm new to non-summer hiking, so I didn't expect anything like this - back home, the grass is green with no snow in sight. Even Conway was relatively snow-less. But it was still neat - I had the summit to myself for most of my stay (my dad had turned back a while back). I've posted a few photos in another thread (I don't know how to display them like you do. I like that format), but here's one with Washington in the background. Can't quite make you out though, Valerie.

EDIT: Ah, yes. Guess this is kinda redundant, then.

Last edited by Acrophobe; 04-20-2008 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks

You could have used a Chill Stick on the way up http://tinyurl.com/65j2am

K