Thread: Alpine Garden/Alpine Flowers

Thanks

Default Alpine Garden/Alpine Flowers

I would like to hike the Observatory summit area with an interest in checking out the wild flowers. I hiked over to Jefferson last year and saw some neat flowers. I've never hiked with the primary goal of checking out the flora.
    Is the Alpine Garden the best show or are there other areas to check out as well?
    I was thinking about the third week in June as a starting point time wise.
    Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Default Alpine Garden

The Alpine Garden is beautiful in mid- June, so this would be a good time to go. The Monroe Flats is also excellent at that time of year. This is the area below the summit of Monroe around the Lakes of the Clouds and south towards Oakes Gulf. Also, not to be missed are the flowers in Tuckerman Ravine, but the trail is often closed above The Bowl until mid July due to ice and snow. Unfortunately, this is the best area to see many types of flowers.

KDT

Thanks

I second, Mid June is very nice along the ridge for the mat communities (diapensia, rosebay and azalea). These plants are truely arctic plants that have been left on the mountains by glaciers past.

Another peak occurs in early august, for harebells, avens and goldenrod...not to mention ripening blueberries.

If you are hiking looking for wildflowers, AMC has a great citizens scientist program for observations, where you can report what you find. The site also has great identification resources...

http://www.outdoors.org/conservation...atch/index.cfm

Good luck!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

What is the earliest that you think the flowers will be out this year? I will be hiking and spending the night at Lakes the first weekend in June and hoping to be able to see the flowers then. What are the chances?
    Kevin (MeridenFF)
    Last one to the top buys the first beer!

Thanks

They start to bloom in late may, you should see some...Monroe Flats around lakes typically peaks a bit earlier than the garden as well...
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Default Treeline

The woods below treeline will be filled with flowers. Pink Lady Slipper, Trillium, Clintonia, Canada Mayflower, Wood Sorrel. Above treeline you may have to do some searching, but the Alpine flowers will be just starting to bloom.

KDT

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

WMV