Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a few questions on the upcoming hike....

Thanks

Default a few questions on the upcoming hike....

what time does everyone try to be on the trail?....we started at 6 am last year and im thinking id like to leave even a little earlier this year....we were so close to making it to the top and having it be clear but didnt quite make it....i know its not a guarantee but i was interested if anyone ever started out earlier than 6am....also....it wont stop us but i was wondering will anyone be re considering the hike due to the gas prices?....i know some people travel a good distance....

Thanks

Mary - nice to see you again. I think I started last year around 6:30 or 6:15. Normally when I go to the summit I try to leave Pinkham by 7:15 or 7:30 at the latest. Last year for STP I knew I was out of shape and started a bit earlier than normal.

I think the answer is based on the condition you are in. Bill O will say you could leave Pinkham at 9AM and be finishing lunch at the summit by noon. But, that is Bill O My plan at this point is Lions Head - summit - special treats at MWO made by Steve - down Tuckermans Headwall - great dinner. I will probably aim for a 6:30am start.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

There's no reason you can't start earlier. I always like getting on the trail as early as possible. Its not unusual for people to leave before sunrise.

With that said, the time you leave usually doesn't translate to getting to a clear summit. It depends on the weather pattern. During a fair weather pattern arriving early does increase the odds of beating clouds and storms. When the weather is more changeable it doesn't matter. You might beat a storm or arrive before it leaves.

If gasoline accounted for 90% of my monthly spending and prices went up 50% there would obviously be a problem. Since that's not the case current gas prices shouldn't effect my trip.
    Last edited by Bill O; 04-27-2008 at 08:46 AM.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

hi brad....ive been keeping up with the boards although i havent been posting all that much....youve been well, yes?....and i agree....bill o is exempt!....his time was incredible last year....i remain in awe of him....lol....i know that time of leaving doesnt guarantee a clear time at the summit....but we just missed it last year and my son would really like to leave as early as possible....so i thought id put it out there....

gas prices wont stop us but we hiked mt monadnock in jaffrey saturday and a ranger there was saying how many cancellations theyve had for the camp ground this year.....mostly due to gas prices....pretty sad and i wondered how it would possibly effect others for this trip....

i hope everyone has been well....we are very anxious and looking forward to this years hike....

Thanks

Default Monadnock

Not to get off the topic, but how was Monadnock? I plan on either that or north/south pack in the next few weeks and was wondering how the trails are.

Thanks

Default a thought...

What if no one physically participated in STP and just donated the dollar amount that would be spent on their trip to the area to participate, gas money, hotel/campground fees, meals, etc.

The amount would for sure be greater than what we raise. Not to mention the amount saved on goodie bags, T-shirts, after hike party and any other non donated goods. I know, I know...I'm no fun!
    ~Rich

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    What if no one physically participated in STP and just donated the dollar amount that would be spent on their trip to the area to participate, gas money, hotel/campground fees, meals, etc.

The amount would for sure be greater than what we raise. Not to mention the amount saved on goodie bags, T-shirts, after hike party and any other non donated goods. I know, I know...I'm no fun!
    I get your point. It would help considerably. However, forum posts and virtual tours of Mt. Washington don't cut it for me. I love the Mt. too much and enjoy the comradarie of fellow hikers. Bill O is right. Gas prices be damned, I'm still there. I'll quit drinking beer in June if I have to. And that aint easy!! Right MeridenFF?

Thanks

hi debi....monadnock is a great hike....off the top of my head i think its something like 3100 feet....its only a couple of hours from where we are so its easy to just go for a saturday and come back home....the views as most are....are amazing....i think anyone who hiked it would have a great time and really enjoy the day....

Thanks

heres a pretty informative website you might find helpful....

http://www.qcc.mass.edu/brink/trav-r.../mmsummit.html

Thanks

Default thanks

Thanks Mary. We've been up it before just not this early in the season. This is an "easy hike" to start training for STP. Not easy for me but just an afternoon walk for my sister and her husband (Tim&Val). It's a start for me.