Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a few questions on the upcoming hike....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Debi
    Thanks Mary. We've been up it before just not this early in the season. This is an "easy hike" to start training for STP. Not easy for me but just an afternoon walk for my sister and her husband (Tim&Val). It's a start for me.
    Ah, so you are connected to Tim & Val! Or was that Val & Tim?

STP will happen for me. I am in Maine now - back to NC this coming weekend. Then will be back in Maine for Memorial Day weekend - mid-June to get the docks in - 4th of July week - then STP. It would be nice to get one additional summit attempt in before STP. Then another climb in August or Labor Day weekend would really cap off a good summer. 2 climbs in a summer is good. 3 climbs is wonderful.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mary
    gas prices wont stop us but we hiked mt monadnock in jaffrey saturday and a ranger there was saying how many cancellations theyve had for the camp ground this year.....mostly due to gas prices....pretty sad and i wondered how it would possibly effect others for this trip....
    For me personally, I had such an incredible time last year that STP is a go no matter how high the gas prices are. However, I am budgeting other things around in order to compensate. Not so many races or hiking trips that are a further drive away.

I'm also planning on making the most out of the gas I use to get up there from VA (a good 10+ hour drive) by spending more then just the 2 1/2 days I did last year. My hiking buddy and I are going to take a few extra days and get a good 2 more days of hiking in before/after STP.

That area of NH is on the very short list of my favorite place in the country, so this is going to be my vacation.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Great Guinness Ghost
    I get your point. It would help considerably. However, forum posts and virtual tours of Mt. Washington don't cut it for me. I love the Mt. too much and enjoy the comradarie of fellow hikers. Bill O is right. Gas prices be damned, I'm still there. I'll quit drinking beer in June if I have to. And that aint easy!! Right MeridenFF?
    Geez if you quit drinking beer you will certainly save enough money for the gas to get there and back. I on the other hand will work more OT for the money to buy gas and beer. Also, if you quit drinking that doesn't mean you don't have to carry my beer to the top when I win the bet.
    Kevin (MeridenFF)
    Last one to the top buys the first beer!

Thanks

Well, you guys don't have to bring me any beer. Since I will be working I can't drink it...at least until I come down.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    Well, you guys don't have to bring me any beer. Since I will be working I can't drink it...at least until I come down.
    I'll see to it that MeridenFF saves you one!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    What if no one physically participated in STP and just donated the dollar amount that would be spent on their trip to the area to participate, gas money, hotel/campground fees, meals, etc.

The amount would for sure be greater than what we raise. Not to mention the amount saved on goodie bags, T-shirts, after hike party and any other non donated goods. I know, I know...I'm no fun!
    We'd probably end up with more funds overall, but I think that those getting a lot of pledges would have a harder time if they weren't doing something (like hiking up the mountain) to show their committment for those who are supporting them. Interesting idea though. Problem is, I'd still need to go and do the hike no matter what...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mary
    hi debi....monadnock is a great hike....off the top of my head i think its something like 3100 feet....its only a couple of hours from where we are so its easy to just go for a saturday and come back home....the views as most are....are amazing....i think anyone who hiked it would have a great time and really enjoy the day....
    I agree - Monadnock is probably the best mountain hike for those in southern NE (CT, MA, RI). It's two hours from us in central RI and an easy drive. We've done it at least twice each year the last couple of years. The only down side is the crowds. The claim is that this is the most hiked mountain in the world - recently taking that "honor" from Mt Fuji. While there isn't any way to avoid the crowds on the summit (at least from late Spring to mid Fall) most people go up and down via just a couple of trails (white dot, white cross). If you avoid those trails it can be a reasonably solitary hike until near the summit and I like some of the other trails even better. My favorite is the Spellman which is supposed to be the hardest route (although it pales in comparison to anything even moderately tough in the Whites). Hoping to get up there for our first mountain of the season in the next week or so.

A couple of other really good "training hikes" for the southern NE'ers are Blue Hills Reservation (Skyline Trail) and Middlesex Fells (Rock Circuit Loop and Skyline Trail). Both are close to Boston and easily accessible. Info here: http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/strenuous.html and http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/strenuous2.html
    Both have nice rocky trails with lots of ups and downs for good total elevation gain.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Default Summit Volunteer

Not drink as a summit volunteer? As one famous observer told me when I got there for my first week, "I'd be insulted if you didn't!" Plan on having a few, Steve, especially if I'm with you!

KDT

Thanks

But, Steve will be the only one not on the clock...... "I drink alone!"
    ~Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    Not drink as a summit volunteer? As one famous observer told me when I got there for my first week, "I'd be insulted if you didn't!" Plan on having a few, Steve, especially if I'm with you!

KDT
    Will I need a bottle opener or are they twist offs???
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???