Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 911 Memorial

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by willy164
    I am speechless.....when we originally set this memorial in place, we never had any idea that it would keep going as strong as it is. We hoped it would, but never expected it. I went to GC.com and did a little searching and found numerous pages of photos of the memorial, and, I have to be honest with you all, it brought tears to my eyes. I spent quite some time on the "pile" at ground zero shortly after the attack (I am a Firefighter) and to see a vision of unity come together with this "pile" on Mt Washington is beyond words. I want to thank everyone that has become involved in keeping this going and can only hope it grows more as the years go by. Never Forget!
    I will have to drop a rock off on my way to the summit this summer!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

I plan on bringing one from Virginia, maybe Potomac River rock. I think it'd be interesting to mark on the rocks the GPS coords of its original location.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Not to be a pain or anything, but how is this not littering?

K

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy
    Not to be a pain or anything, but how is this not littering?

K
    Thank god somebody else said it first. I think I see part of a brick in one of the photos.

I'm not sure what NH state park policy is, but this would never be allowed in a National Park (both the memorial and the geocache).
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I believe that written permission needs to be given in order to have the GC there. Maybe willy164 can shed light on that?

There was an article in a magazine a few months ago that did a Pro vs Con on geocaching. (Perhaps Backpacker Mag). There wasn't an outcome really, but the Con side stated that it was clearly in violation of Leave No Trace. The Pro side did note that CITO (Cache In, Trash Out) is a big part "the game" and that cachers are helping to clean up parts of the environment that noone else seems to want to do.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog
    I believe that written permission needs to be given in order to have the GC there. Maybe willy164 can shed light on that?

There was an article in a magazine a few months ago that did a Pro vs Con on geocaching. (Perhaps Backpacker Mag). There wasn't an outcome really, but the Con side stated that it was clearly in violation of Leave No Trace. The Pro side did note that CITO (Cache In, Trash Out) is a big part "the game" and that cachers are helping to clean up parts of the environment that noone else seems to want to do.
    It was in Backpacker. As long as there is a net decrease in garbage and no unnecessary wear on the land I'm not against geo-caching. I used to manage a cache in a small park in my town.

Those colored stones though aren't exactly the most beautiful thing to look at.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

For the benefit of those not familiar with caching... Here's what's "off-limits" for those creating/hiding a cache.

Code:
     Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

* Caches on land managed by an agency that prohibits geocaches, such as the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges)
        * Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.
        * Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.
        * Caches placed in areas which are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans (examples may include archaeological or historic sites).
        * Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft (46 m) but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.
        * Caches near or on military installations.
        * Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

There may be some exceptions. If your cache fits within one of the above areas, please explain this in a note to the reviewer. If you are given permission to place a cache on private property, indicate this on the cache page for the benefit of both the reviewer and people seeking out the cache.

In addition, there may be local regulations already in place for certain types of parks in your region (state parks, county preserves, etc.). There are many local caching organizations that would be able to help you out with those regulations. If your area does not have a local caching organization please contact your local reviewer for information on regulations. If you have complied with special regulations by obtaining a permit, please state this on your cache page or in a ‘note to the reviewer’. A reviewer may request that you provide contact information for the person who gave you permission to hide your cache.

If the Geocaching.com web site is contacted and informed that your cache has been placed inappropriately, your cache may be archived or disabled and you may be contacted with any information provided by the individual or organization who contacted us.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by willy164
    I am speechless.....when we originally set this memorial in place, we never had any idea that it would keep going as strong as it is. We hoped it would, but never expected it. I went to GC.com and did a little searching and found numerous pages of photos of the memorial, and, I have to be honest with you all, it brought tears to my eyes. I spent quite some time on the "pile" at ground zero shortly after the attack (I am a Firefighter) and to see a vision of unity come together with this "pile" on Mt Washington is beyond words. I want to thank everyone that has become involved in keeping this going and can only hope it grows more as the years go by. Never Forget!
    Willy, glad you helped get this started. And I too hope it continues.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

i will bring a nice rock from pa
    this will nice to do this because there were 2 people i knew that died there 1 fireman and 1 cop ,i was helping a couple days after this happened with some K-9 teams and was tough thing to see .so this will mean a lot thanks for bringing this up

the last time i hiked up to the top was 28 yrs ago and i took a small rock down with me so i put the date on it and still have it ,so now i'm putting one back .
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

I lost a friend in there too, he was a Port Authority police man. He kept going in to bring people out, one of many hero's.

That day is burned into our minds, I was able to see it from my town. When they have the tribute of light I can see it from my window. When I go over the GW to go to Yankee Stadium it still looks so emtpy when I look down the Hudson.