Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 911 Memorial

Thanks

Default Memorial

Unsanctioned memorials are popping up all over the mountains. Depending on where it is, don't be surprised to see it has been removed. Someone put a plaque dedicated to a loved one, complete w/ picture of the deceased, on a trail on Mount Clay last year. As far as anyone knows, there was no connection to the mountains other than she loved them. This is illegal, and I'm pretty sure the plaque was removed by the USFS. In wilderness areas the USFS has gone so far as to, get this, CUT DOWN TREES WITH BLAZES to keep the hand of man invisible. On Owl's Head the blazes, signs and cairns have been removed because it is in a federally designated wilderness area.

If the 911 memorial on Mt. Washington is in the State Park Area it might be left alone, not sure. If it's outside of the boundaries of the park, I'm guessing it will go. For a real mountain tribute to the 911 deceased, folks may want to get involved with this:

http://www.flagsonthe48.org/

KDT

Thanks

i think as long as it does not become to big and becomes an eye sore .

i will bring a small rock with the names of my friends and not have paint all over it
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

But who dictates what is an eye sore?

I think any makeshift memorial IS an eyesore. It ends up being a pile of crap (painted rocks, photos, stuffed animals, etc) placed on someone else's property (in this case the park's property)

I don't think I can go onto park property and plant a tree without permission, and that's just adding to the number of trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    i think as long as it does not become to big and becomes an eye sore .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy
    But who dictates what is an eye sore?

I think any makeshift memorial IS an eyesore. It ends up being a pile of crap (painted rocks, photos, stuffed animals, etc) placed on someone else's property (in this case the park's property)

I don't think I can go onto park property and plant a tree without permission, and that's just adding to the number of trees.

you bring up a good point so i will wait until it is ok to do so
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for