View Poll Results: What's your opinion about the memorial?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beautiful Tribute

8 42.11%
  • Misguided Eyesore

11 57.89%

Thread: 9/11 Memorial Poll

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default 9/11 Memorial Poll

It's anonymous, so what do you really think?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I honestly don't see a big issue with this memorial. It's smaller than 3' by 3', it's at ground level and not a towering eyesore, you have to walk a bit through talus from the parking lot to find it plus, it's facing south. Not easily stumbled upon or seen. It's just another tribute; can we have too many?
    ~Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    I honestly don't see a big issue with this memorial. It's smaller than 3' by 3', it's at ground level and not a towering eyesore, you have to walk a bit through talus from the parking lot to find it plus, it's facing south. Not easily stumbled upon or seen. It's just another tribute; can we have too many?
    i think it is nice to have a memorial to honor the people in a tragedy like 911 and all that or an attack on the USA . but like spyboy said
    " I don't think I can go onto park property and plant a tree without permission, and that's just adding to the number of trees."
    so im with him on this one until the park or others who's land it is on said it is ok
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

I am not opposed to it either for the purpose it serves, to remember the lives of those lost in such a tragic attack on the US. If it were any other less significant purpose I would object. I don't think that memorials of any lesser magnitude should start popping up in the Whites or ever become commonplace.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

So if 9/11 is the baseline many other events would fall within that magnitude. The attack on Pearl Harbor, WWII as a whole, pretty much every other war the US has been involved in. What about Katrina? A natural disaster, but still a disaster.

What about a heart disease memorial? It would certainly touch a lot of people since that's how most people die.

The National Park Service really nailed this dilemma. They simply don't allow memorials of any kind, no matter how poignant, tragic or devastating the cause.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I've had to really think about my response to this one.

On one hand, I very much try to follow the Leave No Trace principles any time I'm out. Also, as others have pointed out, why not memorials to other causes that are just as close to a persons heart? Personally I think there should be time limits on roadside memorials at places like crash sites. They end up littering the area as people leave pictures, teddy bears, etc.

As far as LNT, is a rock litter? I wouldn't think so, but maybe once its all painted up it is. Perhaps the argument is made that the materials in the paint disturb the environment. If someone, not as sensitive to mother nature, painted a rock using paint the will easily wash away in the rain, it could leave a mess.

If I was hiking up the mountain and stumbled upon this site (NOT knowing about geocaching) I'm not so sure I'd like it, and would wonder if it was sanctioned or not.

On the other hand, as a geocacher its a very creative cache that I'd like to find. It just might bring people to MWO that might not otherwise have gone there and end up bringing more awareness of it to more people. Since it was started, 248 people have visited the site. As I've geocached myself, its brought me to places right in my home county that I never knew existed.

The cache description says its a few steps from the parking lot at the end of Tuck's Trail. This is the trail I took last year and never saw it, so maybe its not as big and an eyesore as we may think?

The cache description does also clearly state "PLEASE, DO NOT BRING AMERICAN FLAGS AND OTHER STUFF. BRING A ROCK. BE IT PAINTED" and they also say to "TAKE NOTHING."

I'm curious to know if willy, the original creator of the site, is the cache owner listed on the geocaching site, or did that person find the location and decide to list it as a cache? ALL caches are reviewed by local admins onthe site to make sure they follow the rules laid out. There are some reviewers that may seem more relaxed than others, and also (as I've only been doing this a year) the rules may not have been in place, or as strictly enforced back when this cache was started.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    So if 9/11 is the baseline many other events would fall within that magnitude. The attack on Pearl Harbor, WWII as a whole, pretty much every other war the US has been involved in. What about Katrina? A natural disaster, but still a disaster.

What about a heart disease memorial? It would certainly touch a lot of people since that's how most people die.

The National Park Service really nailed this dilemma. They simply don't allow memorials of any kind, no matter how poignant, tragic or devastating the cause.
    I can understand this and respect their decision not to allow memorials because it could get out of hand and taint the pristein nature of the Whites.

I also feel that if memorials had been placed on the mountain for the attack on pearl harbor or WWII shortly after their occurance they would have been far more widely accepted then than they are now and even though Katrina and heart disease are unfortunate disasters in peoples lives I don't think they can be given the same significance.

If we are going to look at eyesores on the moutain, wouldn't you agree that the mess left over scattered around the summit from all the construction projects is greater than the small pile of rocks left by those who built the memorial?
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???