Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: global warming everywhere

Thanks

Default global warming everywhere

http://cbs4boston.com/national/topst...339113730.html

This article is about how warm it has been inthe Alps. It is worse over there than it is here.
    Dave Johnson

Thanks

and i agree wiff u cause in the uk frost this winter is almost non existant and snow fall is zero unless we talk about the mountains of scotland and even up there snow is only lying in small shallow drifts where there should be snow deep enough for ski-ing and this is a major problem and i know that 'america' is slow to recognise global warming but it is real likes

Thanks

The big problem is that a slow start to the ski season and a warm November are not directly correlated to global warming. Its not that simple. How do you explain the record cold that is sweeping across the United States right now, the extreme snow in the Pacific Northwest, and frost in central Florida? How much snow did Buffalo get in the first week of October?

Nobody mentions all the record lows that get set or the below normal temperatures. They only focus on record highs because they have global warming on their mind.

A basic meteorology class would teach you that "normal" temperatures can be deceiving. Most of us live in a region of the globe where weather masses are always clashing. Sometimes cold air moves south, while other times warm air moves north.

We were speculating about this winter's forecast with a group of people and one lady said it was going to be a warm winter with no snow because of global warming. I didn't know her that well so I was able to restrain myself. But that assumption couldn't be anymore wrong, it was wrong on so many levels. First off, we don't get snow when it is really cold. The Arctic air pushes the storms too far south.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    The big problem is that a slow start to the ski season and a warm November are not directly correlated to global warming. Its not that simple. How do you explain the record cold that is sweeping across the United States right now, the extreme snow in the Pacific Northwest, and frost in central Florida? How much snow did Buffalo get in the first week of October?

Nobody mentions all the record lows that get set or the below normal temperatures. They only focus on record highs because they have global warming on their mind.

A basic meteorology class would teach you that "normal" temperatures can be deceiving. Most of us live in a region of the globe where weather masses are always clashing. Sometimes cold air moves south, while other times warm air moves north.

We were speculating about this winter's forecast with a group of people and one lady said it was going to be a warm winter with no snow because of global warming. I didn't know her that well so I was able to restrain myself. But that assumption couldn't be anymore wrong, it was wrong on so many levels. First off, we don't get snow when it is really cold. The Arctic air pushes the storms too far south.
    Bill,
    I am not saying it is global warming, i just sent the link I saw on the news. I tend to agree with you, it is all a matter of how the storm tracks are and the Jet stream positioning. right now there is a trough dug out to allow the artic air flow in and then by late saturday the polar jet will retreat to the north and high pressure will sit off the mid atlantic coast and the flow around that high will allow the warmer temps to flow from the SW into our area.
    Dave Johnson

Thanks

The planet goes through cycles that span lifetimes. Yet in 30 years the so called experts have changed their tune on the effects, causes, and future. They are using a 200 years of data, compared to the real age of the earth, drop in the ocean.
    It's Smarter to be Lucky, then it's Lucky to be Smart

Are you a Minion?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tkahike
    The planet goes through cycles that span lifetimes. Yet in 30 years the so called experts have changed their tune on the effects, causes, and future. They are using a 200 years of data, compared to the real age of the earth, drop in the ocean.
    Of all the reports I see, 65% say this is all due to El nino but the other 35% say it isnt due to El nino. Usaully when we have an El nino the jet stream doesnt continously flow through the Pac West, it actually goes through So Cal into the midwest and then down to the gulf coast and then northward. As for my weather knowledge, it is just due to the location of the Jet Stream. Looks like mid week next week around thr 20th, we may get some rain to snow type of event here nest tues into Wed and perhaps over the holiday weekend. but we cant pin all of this on El nino, there are more reasons as well.
    Pray for snow
    Dave Johnson

Thanks

My impressions based on a number of years of interest in climate, not weather, is that there is a chicken and egg problem being discussed here. The weather this year may have been milder than others due to the presence of a somewhat stronger El Nino event, but what is causing the El Nino to express itself. It may be a natural long-term (decadal) cycle of events, or it may be due to increased temperatures. To further confuse the issue, the increased temperatures could be due to cycles in the solar output or it could be due to greenhouse gas effects, or both, or even neither.
    From my view, it seems like greenhouse gas increases are a good possibility. But that is just an opinion based on the evidence that I have seen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mildcarlilse
    and i agree wiff u cause in the uk frost this winter is almost non existant and snow fall is zero unless we talk about the mountains of scotland and even up there snow is only lying in small shallow drifts where there should be snow deep enough for ski-ing and this is a major problem and i know that 'america' is slow to recognise global warming but it is real likes
    Step out the door on the rock pile tonight and then we can talk about global warming.

Thanks

Interesting article about a "huge" snowstorm across China. One place is reporting 56mm of snow!

That is 2.2 inches ......

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...&type=National
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

That was reported as precipitation