Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snow 5/19

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe
    I don't like the sound of that. I'm planning to do Little Haystack, Lincoln, and Lafayette on Monday, and I was assuming this is accurate:

http://www.outdoors.org/recreation/t...ry-weather.cfm

It says there's only patches - can we assume it's right, or should we bring boots?
    We did Old Bridle Path to Mt Lafayette yesterday (Sat). We didn't do the ridge due to high winds and winter-like temps. Here's what I can tell you:

• From the trailhead to the views of Walker Ravine from the ledges, it's all clear and dry.
    • From the ledges to the hut - you'll start to find wet, somewhat muddy trail and some leftover snow. It's mushy, but you can either walk around it or over it with bare boots.
    • From the hut to the summit is less snow (still some) and mostly wet rocks. We didn't encounter any ice.

From people we spoke to at the hut, they suggested that the Falling Waters trail was similar with wet snow as you neared the treeline on Little Haystack.

There was a ranger in the parking lot as we headed out - warning people about the weather and trail conditions. That may have been more because of the wind and freezing fog that was occurring at the time.

By the time we got to the hut, the summits were coming out of the clouds.

Personally, I wouldn't wear sneakers, but some people did yesterday. Depends how much you like dry feet.

Valerie

Thanks

Good info. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim&Val
    We did Old Bridle Path to Mt Lafayette yesterday (Sat). We didn't do the ridge due to high winds and winter-like temps. Here's what I can tell you:

• From the trailhead to the views of Walker Ravine from the ledges, it's all clear and dry.
    • From the ledges to the hut - you'll start to find wet, somewhat muddy trail and some leftover snow. It's mushy, but you can either walk around it or over it with bare boots.
    • From the hut to the summit is less snow (still some) and mostly wet rocks. We didn't encounter any ice.

From people we spoke to at the hut, they suggested that the Falling Waters trail was similar with wet snow as you neared the treeline on Little Haystack.

There was a ranger in the parking lot as we headed out - warning people about the weather and trail conditions. That may have been more because of the wind and freezing fog that was occurring at the time.

By the time we got to the hut, the summits were coming out of the clouds.

Personally, I wouldn't wear sneakers, but some people did yesterday. Depends how much you like dry feet.

Valerie
    Mount Washington Rocks!!!

Thanks

Yes, thanks, Valerie. I'm looking forward to it tomorrow - I've wanted to do Lafayette for years.

Thanks

Smile

I am sure you will enjoy it. I did a long time ago. Good luck.
    Yes, thanks, Valerie. I'm looking forward to it tomorrow - I've wanted to do Lafayette for years.
    Mount Washington Rocks!!!

Thanks

I'm planning to do Little Haystack, Lincoln, and Lafayette on Monday
    How was your hike on Monday? We were out of state on Sunday and Monday, but it looked like good weather!

Valerie

Thanks

Absolutely magnificent. I've never done Franconia Ridge before, so I didn't know what I missing. Truly glorious - certainly gives Washington a fight for the title of 'Best Mountain in New Hampshire'. It was just as good as Katahdin in Maine. We encountered some of that 'balance beam' on the way down Falling Waters trail, to my surprise (and annoyance - I was wearing sneakers ), but other then that, it was great. When we set out, there were some pretty nasty looking thunder clouds floating around overhead, but by the time we'd gotten to the hut, it had pretty well cleared up. Better still, we saw a bald eagle (first time ) and a moose on Old Bridle Path, a little after we left the parking lot. Even though it was swarming with people, it was the best hike I've been on.

A few quick pictures:

First, my faithful traveling companion with his 5200 foot snowman:

Here he is resting after a long morning of climbing:

And here, the spectacular view I'm sure you've all seen before:

Thanks

I love that hike. Can't wait to do it again. Your hiking companion looks like he got the stuffing beat out of him.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Awesome pictures! I'm glad you had such a great day! I *love* your traveling companion - he's adorable!

Valerie