Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: New wave of electricity coming to the summit

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Central NH
    Posts
    193
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default New wave of electricity coming to the summit

    http://www.wmur.com/news/10466997/detail.html

    The rockpile will soon be getting electricity not from the generators much longer. After an agreement with the Cog Railway....... read the link above
    Dave Johnson

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,679
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 33 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    That is going to be great. They'll be able remove the noisy generators from under the entryway. The summit will be a much quieter place and the observers will have to brave a much more exciting trek to the precip can.

    I'm not sure how much the Obs pays for electricity but grid power should be much cheaper and more reliable.

    While they are stringing power up the cog I'm also guessing they will include high speed internet lines. Which opens up an unrestricted data stream from the summit.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Central NH
    Posts
    193
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    That is going to be great. They'll be able remove the noisy generators from under the entryway. The summit will be a much quieter place and the observers will have to brave a much more exciting trek to the precip can.

    I'm not sure how much the Obs pays for electricity but grid power should be much cheaper and more reliable.

    While they are stringing power up the cog I'm also guessing they will include high speed internet lines. Which opens up an unrestricted data stream from the summit.
    i never thought about that Bill, high speed up there. that is going to be awesome and lead to many more opportunitties. Like you said it will be much cheaper and quieter.
    Dave Johnson

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,679
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 33 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineHikerFan71
    i never thought about that Bill, high speed up there. that is going to be awesome and lead to many more opportunitties. Like you said it will be much cheaper and quieter.
    They currently have high speed internet on the summit, but its wireless via microwave.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Belchertown, MA
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    On the down side hikers will no longer have the 'place hands through the vents' hand and upper body warmers

    (For the curious - left side of THIS picture)

    Bob

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    6,247
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 398 Times in 250 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HikerBob
    On the down side hikers will no longer have the 'place hands through the vents' hand and upper body warmers

    (For the curious - left side of THIS picture)

    Bob
    Bob,

    What a wonderful set of pictures! A long hike and a long day.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Belchertown, MA
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks Brad. It was a long day but very rewarding and we really lucked out with the weather.

    Bob

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Central NH
    Posts
    193
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Bob,

    What a wonderful set of pictures! A long hike and a long day.
    Bob,
    Great shots, WOW. the one with the sun just rising on the horizon is awesome.
    thanks for sharing with us
    Dave Johnson

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I had read that the plan includes fiber optic lines. The communications equipment, phones and the internet would all benefit from a fiber line.
    An old newspaper article online indicated the 2004 contract was going to include a new building, a power grid for the summit, a back up generator and a substation at the base.

    Some official info from 1/06 is here:
    http://www.nhstateparks.org/ParksPag...tes012006.html


    chris

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Central NH
    Posts
    193
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiker8261
    I had read that the plan includes fiber optic lines. The communications equipment, phones and the internet would all benefit from a fiber line.
    An old newspaper article online indicated the 2004 contract was going to include a new building, a power grid for the summit, a back up generator and a substation at the base.

    Some official info from 1/06 is here:
    http://www.nhstateparks.org/ParksPag...tes012006.html


    chris
    Well i guess better late than never. I am just glad it is being done and should make for easier times in the offices on the summit for the hard working people up there
    Dave Johnson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •