Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barometric Pressure

Thanks

Default Pressure

One reason why the Observatory does not report standard pressure is that it is not an airport. The main reason other stations report pressure is for landing aircraft, Mount Washington does report its pressure in the synoptic code.

Bill O is correct in stating that pressure at that elevation is not as accurate and will vary greatly especially in high wind events.

Thanks

So that landing field on the east side of the observatory doesn't get all that much use? :-)

Thanks

Default records for Barometric pressures

Using average sea level pressure of 29.92 inches of mercury as a point for comparison, the highest barometric pressure ever recorded in the USA was 31.85 inches in Northway, Alaska, in January 1989. The lowest barometric pressure ever recorded was associated with the landfall of the Labor Day hurricane in Key West, Florida in 1935, which registered a minimum pressure of 26.35 inches of mercury. Both are also records for North America. From USA TODAY

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wareagletsf
    Using average sea level pressure of 29.92 inches of mercury as a point for comparison, the highest barometric pressure ever recorded in the USA was 31.85 inches in Northway, Alaska, in January 1989. The lowest barometric pressure ever recorded was associated with the landfall of the Labor Day hurricane in Key West, Florida in 1935, which registered a minimum pressure of 26.35 inches of mercury. Both are also records for North America. From USA TODAY
    Too bad we can't compare those to Mount Washington since they don't adjust to sea level. Last fall an intense coastal low moved just south of my house and the pressure dropped to 28.81".
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

I am currently stationed as MCAS Futenma Okinawa, Japan
    Thanks

Default 2 cents

At my staion we report station pressure mainly for ATC and other reasons that I'm not too sure about and also it makes seeing fronts and other such events easier.

Thanks

Smile A little self centered are we?

I am only curious about the weather at the summit, that is where my interest lies
    Maybe you're being a little self centered? Barometric pressure is Barometric pressure. If your interest lie in meteorology then you convert it to sea level so you can compare it to hurricanes and what not. The rangers and the instruments just report the data...I am assuming you're a scientist..you interpret it the data however you want..compare it to sea-level or compare it to the moon for all I care.

BTW...Mount Mitchell barometric pressure is not adjusted to sea-level either.

Mt Mitchell Rocks!