Thread: Here's another

Thanks

Default Here's another

We probably missed this one while the world was watching Franconia Ridge:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Mt.+Washington+night+climber +wanted+'solitude'&articleId=98755042-da43-4c27-90b0-72401d851d05

I'm sure this sat well with SAR after Franconia.

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 02-13-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Thanks

He wanted "quiet and solitude"... With "a reported windchill of minus-70 degrees at the summit and gusts of up to 70 miles an hour" he'd be looking for an eternity of it without any gear at 1am!!!

Thanks

The thing is the -70F windchill was ongoing at the time. He would have walked into it, gotten cold, and walked down.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

it said the family called for help may be he was gone all day thats why the called . he may have bin driving around fore some time and then they found his car .
    as for some of the people making comment about waiting 24 to 48 hr before they search not true ,if some one is heart or is missing every minute counts.
    i belong to a search team in pa and they call for help they get the police and fire dpt , then when it gets dark they call us because they did not find them .there was 2 times that people past away because they did not find them in time .we were never called to either search
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

The article says he went for a hike on Monday night. Wasn't the weather improving during this period? Winds were low enough to land a helicopter on L Haystack in the dark.

The article doesn't emphasize that this man just went for a hike. His worried family called for a rescue. The man wasn't injured or in trouble.

I think there is a little more to this story than we know about. Maybe he wasn't in the best mental state when he decided to go for this walk.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Yeah when I hear "solitude" "started hiking at 9:30pm" "no gear" I'm thinking this guy wanted to go let nature end it for him.