Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE PRAY!!! Climbers trapped. Mount Hood, Oregon

Thanks

Default Pictures in camera

What they saw was that the 3 went up VERY light. They planned on a bivy over night then down to meet friends at timber lodge. I think they went light to be able to beat the storm. Again if not for the injury to kelly they would have made it safe and sound. With the injury, worst weather in years, and what they saw in the pictures, light gear, it combined for the fatal end.

Thanks

i it me or should be prepared for the worst or close to it
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Default world class dead now. maybe step one is better?

I belive there is a beacon that can be rented for very little money that would have pin pointed where they were. There have been other rescues that have been done with it and it works. As far as a smoke signal...how can that be seen in 100 MPH winds? The cell phone batteries lasted for days. Really it is sad but we see this all the time on hood. They didn't really know the mountain. I think they underestimated it but it all is relevent now for them. I just think we all should just kinda learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    These climbers were two steps below world class. What kind of beacon are you talking about? Should everyone have a beacon? Should I drive with a beacon in my car?

Unless you know of some magical beacon, I'm not sure one exists that would have saved them. It was not humanly possible to reach their last known location until Sunday...and they did. The batteries would have been long dead by then.

Thanks

Default R.I.P. my brothers

those guys are dead. no amount of praying saves anyone from the elements,or dicey situations.if you're up the creek,you're up the creek,just that simple. get yourself out or you better hope someones looking for you.
    one thing i have noticed about this website by reading some of the posts is; there's maybe 6 people here,who have very strong beliefs and acutally post,if you don't agree with them you're attacked for what you believe,or by the way you say it. if any forum wants to be successful there needs to be a certain amount of tolerence. something this website needs. just look at the members list and hit posts. taint many people there. jus' sayin'
    GA -> ME "05"
    hi chickety!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by post'r boy
    one thing i have noticed about this website by reading some of the posts is; there's maybe 6 people here,who have very strong beliefs and acutally post,if you don't agree with them you're attacked for what you believe,or by the way you say it. if any forum wants to be successful there needs to be a certain amount of tolerence. something this website needs. just look at the members list and hit posts. taint many people there. jus' sayin'
    Awww...c'mere and let me give you a big hug. I like reading your posts. I may not always understand them.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best. And always look on the bright side of life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Stokes
    I belive there is a beacon that can be rented for very little money that would have pin pointed where they were. There have been other rescues that have been done with it and it works. As far as a smoke signal...how can that be seen in 100 MPH winds? The cell phone batteries lasted for days. Really it is sad but we see this all the time on hood. They didn't really know the mountain. I think they underestimated it but it all is relevent now for them. I just think we all should just kinda learn from it.
    I think smoke can be seen in high winds and on a clear day. It may not accurately pinpoint your location in those conditions, but then again, I don't think that a rescue in those conditions could've be mounted either.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best. And always look on the bright side of life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Stokes
    Kelly James got hurt, that's it. These climbers knew all the risks and accepted them.

Like I said before the PLB's have batteries that only last a few days while transmitting. In my other thread I also stated they never would have activated the device. The other two climbers only knew they were in grave danger a few moments before being swept off the side of the mountain.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default well...

Well Bill guessing what happened is not facts. We will just have to wait and see where they are found. I think they just are burried in a snow cave. They did activate the cell phone so I would have activated the locator. Well I would have activated the TV and been drinking beer at the lodge myself. I think we can all agree that what ever we belive it is sad and we all grieve. Regardless I think we will all learn from this.

Thanks

I think in the next few days the families of the missing climbers need to give the rescuers their blessing to end the search. They need to look at all the facts and accept that the period of survivability has passed.

The current working theory, based on a signifcant amount of evidence, is that they are buried in avalanche debris somewhere below The Gullies. This will remain a very dangerous place to travel until next spring.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

They did activate the cell phone so I would have activated the locator. Well I would have activated the TV and been drinking beer at the lodge myself.
    I am a tad bit confused. I guess what you are saying is they should have activated the beacon but if S/R couldn't of gotten to them due to weather what good would that of done. It wouldn't of saved their lives. How long do the batteries last on a beacon. Cell phone batteries seem to die rather fast in cold weather. Are beacon batteries different?? If they did activate the beacon and then end up going for help on the south side wouldn't search and rescue end up looking for them in the wrong place. It would be interesting to see how many climbers and hikers carry beacons. I honestly don't think very many. The other question is do beacons work in all areas? Cell phones on Hood only work on the south side. I hoestly think they were going for help and were blown off the mountain. I agree with Bill and think they are buried at the bottom of the gullies. 100 m.p.h. winds and 6o degree grade are not a good combination.