Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE PRAY!!! Climbers trapped. Mount Hood, Oregon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex
    I am a tad bit confused. I guess what you are saying is they should have activated the beacon but if S/R couldn't of gotten to them due to weather what good would that of done. It wouldn't of saved their lives. How long do the batteries last on a beacon. Cell phone batteries seem to die rather fast in cold weather. Are beacon batteries different??
    Exactly, for the benefit of others I will state for the 4th time that PLB batteries only last for 1-3 days when transmitting.

One device that hasn't been mentioned is the RECCO rescue system. Which is really good for recoveries. It's just a passive chip that reflects radar signals, and it never runs out of batteries.

Regular avalanche beacons would be totally useless in this case. Their signals are only detectable within a few hundred feet and the batteries can only transmit for a few days, at the most.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Mount Hood Transponder?

Speaking of other rescue devices I heard that there is something used on Hood called a hood transponder. It acts like a bear collar and transmits your location thru your whole hike. Now that to me sounds like the way to go if you are in a group. They say groups use this on Hood and it has saved several groups that got lost. Any info or more details on what this is and how it works??

Thanks

There has been quite a stunning turn of events that might throw out many theories. An autopsy shows that Kelly James did not have any injuries. No dislocations or broken bones. He died of hypothermia.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    There has been quite a stunning turn of events that might throw out many theories. An autopsy shows that Kelly James did not have any injuries. No dislocations or broken bones. He died of hypothermia.
    I saw this. I was figuring he did not need his ice axes due to his injury. But, that has been blown out the window as a theory. They did not seem to have the equipment to handle the storm when it came in with the high winds and snow.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gorque
    Awww...c'mere and let me give you a big hug. I like reading your posts. I may not always understand them.
    thanks, bro/sis?
    that's more like it. what about the others?
    p.s. this is the "general discussion" forum an' i'm jus' havin' a "good time"
    GA -> ME "05"
    hi chickety!!

Thanks

Default ?

Now I am very confused!!!!!!!!!!! They were on the summit with no injuries. All they had to do was glasade down to timber lodge. Did they not bring enough clothes?? This really changes things. When did this info come out??
    This just blows the doors wide open....................

Thanks

Hello everyone, I have been watching this story since it unfolded and am glad I did. It was a sad ending and my thoughts are with the families of those who lost their lives. Not much can be said at a time like this, except the men did what they could and tried their absolute best. For this they have my respect.

I have been greatly inspired by these three men and I personally plan on climbing Mt. Hood next December in memory of James, Hall and Nikko.

Thanks

Thumbs up

although i'm not a doctor, to the best of my knowledge,one can't die from a dislocated shoulder anyway. freezing to death sounds like the obvious thing to happen.
    GA -> ME "05"
    hi chickety!!

Thanks

Brief article in the March National Geographic Adventure magazine. Nothing new though.

On another note, there is an even briefer blurb about Mount Washington including a short interview with Ken Rancourt.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

The assumption has always been that an injured Kelly James remained holed up in a snow cave while his two buddies braved a blizzard in their heroic attempt to get help.

Now, what about this scenario? All three climbers were descending during the storm when things suddenly went from bad to worse. A horribly tragic event resulted in Brian Hall and Jerry "Nikko" Cooke being swept into 'the gullies', however Kelly James somehow managed to dodge this bullet. Despondent, yet seeking to avoid the same fate as his friends, Kelly James began a reluctant retreat. Stumbling in the heavy snow, he failed to find the group's original snow cave so he had to dig another. And in this cave...we know the rest...