Thread: Forum Etiquette

Thanks

Default Forum Etiquette

Just some guidelines to work with:

POST ON THE APPROPRIATE FORUM

There are a number of different forums on these message boards - the full list is on the 'forum index' page. Please use the appropriate forum when starting a new topic.

PERSONAL TOPICS

Personal topics are threads that, whilst posted in public forum, are intended for a discussion between only a few members. These kinds of topics are frowned on and will be locked/removed as soon as they are discovered. Public posts should be open and inviting to all members. Personal discussions among a select group of users should take place in private message - use your messaging facilities accessed from your community home page.

RESPECT OTHER USERS

Sometimes people can write something that you may find offensive. Before launching into a public condemnation though, please consider that the person may not have intended to cause offense. It is very easy to misinterpret a post on forums. There is absolutely no need to resort to insults. Respect others' views even if you disagree with them.

ADVERTISING/SOLICITATION

Advertising for the sake of advertising is not allowed. Posts that are off topic will be deleted.

LINKS

Links to relevant news sources are encouraged. In particular, when posting injury news please provide the source for the information. Links that are off topic are not allowed and will be deleted.

NO TROLLING

What is a troll? It's a person who posts something which is bound to stir people up and then sits back and watches as dozens of people jump in and start arguing. Sometimes trolls get their friends to join in or post under different names. Generally they will do anything it takes to get attention. If you see a message like this, please try and refrain from replying to it - it may well be deleted anyway.

POWER-POSTING

Power-posting is when board members post 'empty' messages to the board, in order to simply increase their number of posts more quickly. Examples of power-posting are replying to a message with only 'LOL' or 'I agree', but failing to contribute anything further to the discussion. If you reply to a message, make sure you have something to say. Power posting clutters up the forums, clutters up the 'new posts' function, and uses extra bandwidth and server space. While we don't mind people using bandwidth to chat usefully on the board, we do mind people using it just because they want a more impressive 'post counter'. If you're not sure if you're power-posting, take a moment and think it over before you post. If all your post contains is a 'LOL' or an emoticon, it's a power-post. If it adds something to the discussion, it isn't.

IGNORE SPAMMERS

Spam is a blight upon the face of the net. Nobody likes it. However, it is hard to avoid. Despite our best efforts, you will very occasionally see spam on the forums. Complaining about spam in public increases noise, but not signal. It may make you feel better, but it doesn't help. Mail Admin who will remove the spam.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Spam is a blight upon the face of the net. Nobody likes it. However, it is hard to avoid. Despite our best efforts, you will very occasionally see spam on the forums. Complaining about spam in public increases noise, but not signal. It may make you feel better, but it doesn't help. Mail Admin who will remove the spam.
    Shouldn't we ask folks to use the built in "report" function with the yield sign at the upper right of a post? If it is better to send an e-mail to Admin, please provide the e-mail address for us to use.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Shouldn't we ask folks to use the built in "report" function with the yield sign at the upper right of a post? If it is better to send an e-mail to Admin, please provide the e-mail address for us to use.
    Yes, that's fine. I just copied these guidelines from another forum. Chances are I will get to spam before anybody sees it. Unless I am away, in which case reporting it to me wont help.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Question

>>>>POWER-POSTING

Power-posting is when board members post 'empty' messages to the board, in order to simply increase their number of posts more quickly. Examples of power-posting are replying to a message with only 'LOL' or 'I agree', but failing to contribute anything further to the discussion. If you reply to a message, make sure you have something to say. Power posting clutters up the forums, clutters up the 'new posts' function, and uses extra bandwidth and server space. While we don't mind people using bandwidth to chat usefully on the board, we do mind people using it just because they want a more impressive 'post counter'. If you're not sure if you're power-posting, take a moment and think it over before you post. If all your post contains is a 'LOL' or an emoticon, it's a power-post. If it adds something to the discussion, it isn't.<<<

please help me understand why on earth would anyone be interested in getting their post count up. does one receive special recognition in the hiking communty when they reach a certain number?
    GA -> ME "05"
    hi chickety!!

Thanks

Some people feel it makes them superior by having more posts. Some people need to get a life also.
    It's Smarter to be Lucky, then it's Lucky to be Smart

Are you a Minion?

Thanks

I'm a member of this forum http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu and there is a lot of fun and new members every day .
    some times a simple is the only reply you need .when some one has a serious question it is all business.

so i do not think it is bad to have a short reply .you do have to have some fun to keep the forum active and people will look forward to coming here.

i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hawk
    I'm a member of this forum http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu and there is a lot of fun and new members every day .
    some times a simple is the only reply you need .when some one has a serious question it is all business.

so i do not think it is bad to have a short reply .you do have to have some fun to keep the forum active and people will look forward to coming here.

nice site!! me likey tools!!! use'em everyday!
    GA -> ME "05"
    hi chickety!!