Thread: Presi Traverse shuttle?

Thanks

Default Presi Traverse shuttle?

My friend and I are headed up to attempt a one day traverse of the Presidential range. We can't seem to find any shuttle info. We need to start hiking at 7 am and are not sure when we will finish. We saw the AMC shuttle but they don't start until 8am and we don't want to depend on being out for the last shuttle at 3:20. Does anyone know any other options?
    Work to live, live to play, but never live to work.
    Check out my adventures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets/

Thanks

I know something, it begins with the letter "H".

I heard there are some taxi services that will shuttle you as well. That might be a better solution because ideally you would leave the car at the finish not the start.

Also, I like to get on the trail early and if I was doing the traverse I'd leave before 7am. Assuming you're doing the Appalachia to Crawford traverse.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default traverse

A group of very strong hikers I know, (not me), did the traverse on the 4th in just over 14 hours. They spent about 3 hrs of it at rest on the various summits. Some climbed the Valley Way to Madison at 5:48am, others started at Daniel Webster Scout Trail at 5:25. They began the descent of the Webster/Jackson Trail at 7:30. One could cut this shorter by skipping Jackson and descending the Crawford Path, or even shorter by descending the Edmands or Ammonoosuc. Of course they had carspots set up at each location, which is the best way.

As Bill said there are taxi services that will do this, but the best way is two, (or more) cars. The AMC shuttle runs on their own schedule which for trips like this is not very helpful.

Just my .02 worth.

KDT

Thanks

Default Presi Traverse

I did a one day Presi Traverse with some friends two years ago. We hit the trail at around 4:30 AM with headlamps and finished around 3 PM at the Highlands Hut. We stopped for about twenty minutes on the summit of Washington and grabbed some water at Lakes. Outside of that we pretty much pushed through hitting each peak. I am not sure of your pace, but I would expect the average time is north of twelve hours.

Normal practice is to car spot at Valley Way and the Notch. If you can grab a third to hike with, a car waiting at the Cog in case you need to bail due to weather, injury, whatever, is a good option. I wouldn't count on the shuttle late in the day.

In any event, it's a great hike, I hope you have good weather.

Thanks

Two cars is obviously ideal and so is a 5am start.

Then again, the traverse is supposed to be difficult. Its not about strolling back the trailhead at noon, its about stumbling onto Route 302 tired and dirty just before dark with other hikers/drivers wondering what you just went through. It's supposed to kind of suck, at least while you're doing it.

Oh yeah, you have to hit the summit of Madison.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default thanks!

Thanks for the advice! I think we will do the taxi thing. We are pretty strong hikers/runners and are planning to start at 7am and finish whenever we get done. We want to hit all of the summits including madison. We will be doing the traditional traverse. I did it in the winter and am excited to see where we got lost and what it looks like in the summer! We are very excited!

Thanks

Talking t

We found a taxi service that will shuttle us for 80 bucks! We are really excited! Wish us luck! We are planning to hit all the summits (and I am planning to eat one of those awesome whoopie pies at the summit of Washington!). We are going to do the traditional traverse so it should be fun! I can't wait to see the traverse in the summer! We got so lost last winter in the chest deep snow that I have been dying to see where the trail actually is!