Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting in shape

Thanks

Default Getting in shape

I was going to post this topic to see what kinds of things people are doing to get themselves in shape for STP08.

Then I realized I was talking with Bill O who just trotted up Ben Nevis the other day. Tim & Val wander around trying to find peaks to stroll around several times a week. Kevin is out there taking pictures of every bird that has seen a summit. Jim Salge probably does not know what it means to "get" in shape. These folks do not need to get in shape.

But, the rest of us mere mortals drive a desk during the week - and do not have the chance to climb and hike on weekends. What are you all doing to get ready? And how often? Have you even started yet?
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

well 2 months ago i had rotator cuff surgery and i was off work for 4 weeks and because of a lot of pain i added some weight and now i need to take it off .it is hard because i still cant use my arm at work so i walk around telling others what to do .

so every night i hit the treadmill with the elevation up all the way and try to go at at a good pace . then on the weekends i try to hit the trails around here .
    i got a new back pack and i will be putting some weight in it as i hike .
    and i hope it works so i can make the peak and not seek the the peek .
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

I think you are right in that my spectrum of 'in shape' may be different from others, but training is important for everyone.

I find that the stadium at school is good for running up and down...up for stamina, down for balance and footwork. I find that my shoulders are often worse than my legs carrying big packs, so I try to work on them as well.

The one excercize that has helped me more than anything else though is my indo board. 15 minutes of intense rolling and my legs are shot...and it's all the same muscles that tended to get sore in the past.

http://www.indoboard.com/application/cart/index.php
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

People follow this site exclusively and do amazing things in the mountains: Crossfit. For them, less is more.

Things like squats, sit ups, box jumps can do far more than hours of long slow distance.

I ran 13.1 miles on Sunday and most of my training involved sprints at the track and lifting weights. My longest run before the race was a 3 x 5km (with 15 minute breaks between sets). I did that once and my only other long run was a 10k in early May.

Short, intense training is the way to go. Humans are built to walk all day long and just doing that wont make you any stronger.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

If you like Crossfit and you want to build endurance check out this site: Crossfit Endurance

People follow this protocol and complete Ironman and ultra-marathons on 7 hours of training a week.

One of my favorites is the Tabata, it will burn your lungs and wear you out in just four minutes. Pick your sport, I'll choose running. You do 8 rounds of 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off. Go as fast/hard as you can for the 20 seconds on and do nothing for the 10 off. It helps if you have an interval watch or a partner to help with the timing. I promise, its over in 4 minutes.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

and for some one that gets winded some what quick how long before they see a difference in there breathing
    and you do this every day
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    and for some one that gets winded some what quick how long before they see a difference in there breathing
    and you do this every day
    I don't think that ever goes away. I breath hard after walking up a flight of stairs. That's a normal reaction.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

so far I have not been doing much. I need to do something though. I'm gonna check out that link Bill posted. Maybe that will be the answer for a poor flatlander.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

wow....you guys dont think walking does all that much for a body?....im a huge fan of walking....i walk anywhere from 3-5 miles a day and i use the stairs at a local school....later on in the evening i take my dogs out for a good run although i dont run with them i feel as though its a fair amount of activity....i wish i could run i think running is something i would really like and i am envious of people who participate in marathons....i would love to be able to say ive completed a marathon....but when i run (and i know some of you will think....oh man what a whack job) it absolutely kills my eardrums....i get a type of vibration thing going on and it causes actual pain....ive tried all different types of running.....up on the balls of my feet.....a complete foot roll....a slow run/jog....i just cant do it....i also hike a couple of times a week locally....i kayak which is great for upper body strength....i used to go faithfully to the gym and was in pretty decent shape but got out of that routine when my mom became sick as i needed to help her....ive just never gotten back to that....

Thanks

lol....i just went back and re read your question....bill o?....hes like a mountain climbing machine!