Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting in shape

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mary View Post
    lol....i just went back and re read your question....bill o?....hes like a mountain climbing machine!
    That is partly why I started this thread. There are some folks here who are in very good shape. So, sometimes their answers have to be taken with a grain of fat.

I have been pretty good recently walking around the block after work - that is a 3.1 mile loop. Doing it in 45 minutes is a steady 4 mph pace. Every other day I have been climbing stairs. From the basement to the first floor and back down is one pass. I am up to 30 of them and still going strong. That is a lot different from when I started and was totally wiped out trying to get to 10.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Well my first disclaimer is that I am not going to be at STP, I can't justify the trip at this time. And we have such nice mountains out here as well. Anyway, I tend to hit the stairclimbing machine in the weeks before major climbs, that tends to keep my knees from cratering on me. For general stuff, I am usually found on the bike, trying to keep the strengh and endurance up. Not to mention the weight down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D View Post
    so far I have not been doing much. I need to do something though. I'm gonna check out that link Bill posted. Maybe that will be the answer for a poor flatlander.
    steve shouldn't training on cooking and cleaning
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Default Hey Hey Brad!!

Just for the record, I sit at a desk from 6am to 3:30pm every workday. Yesterday, I had *seven* hours of conference calls.

We're just lucky to live close enough that we can train on all the other mountains. We have learned to go uphill at a consistent, comfortable pace. We don't sprint-and-break, sprint-and-break. I think that developed from being out here in the blackflies and mosquitoes. It's just better to keep moving all the time.

The downhill is still really hard for me. Tim says I'm too timid in my footfalls, and so I spend too much energy (and valuable knee strength) trying to hold myself back. I don't know how to get over that.

Regarding the breathing... I breathe hard on every hike. The way to tell if you are getting in shape is by how quickly your breathing returns to normal when you stop.

Valerie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tim&Val View Post

Regarding the breathing... I breathe hard on every hike. The way to tell if you are getting in shape is by how quickly your breathing returns to normal when you stop.

Valerie
    I agree, its recovery time that is a sign of fitness.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I have to say that I side with Mary on the benefits of walking. It has been the primary way that I stay in shape for some time. I've always walked on a near daily basis (a couple of miles with the dog) but decided to step it up about 18 months ago. I got involved with a program that has been run the last few years called Shape Up Rhode Island. Joined a team from work in the "pedometer steps" division and started cranking out the miles. I logged 1000 miles in the first 6 months that I was keeping track and wound up at 1700 for the year. I lost 25 pounds in the first 2-1/2 months and hit my goal of being in the best shape of my life on my 50th birthday last year. I've cut back a bit but still average over 25 miles a week and have maintained basically the same fitness level. I'm not sure that I agree with the comments about it being natural to be winded under exertion. I used to be out of breath after one or two flights of stairs but I can do 7 flights (and do this regularly at work) without being out of breath now. I also have found that this carries over to hiking - including up the mountains. I do agree with Valerie about the downhills though. My "old knees" just don't appreciate them much anymore - but I'm happy to go up all day long.

This was the long way of saying that my belief these days is in steady training all year long. We've been doing some extra hiking and getting some miles on the bikes to push it a bit more to prepare for STP but nothing else. We're going to be staying in Camden ME the second week of July and will have a chance to get in some small mountain hiking (nothing over 1000' in Camden Hills). Can't wait for July 26th!!!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Default In shape?

What's that? I actually consider myself in terrible shape. I've got to side with Val that the best training for this is to be out there doing it. A "consistent, comfortable pace" as she says. We seldom do starts and stops as we find it too hard to get going again.

I think age makes a huge difference. If I were young, I would definitely go to Bill's suggested training regimen, but I think at our age, (Jude and I are 49), slow and steady wins the race, or at least completes it.

I've never been one to work out, but what I have found is the best training for hiking up hill is, that's right, hiking uphill. We are lucky to have a steep 3/4 mile hill near us at work and we climb it quite often at lunch. At least we used to. We have been lucky enough to be able to spend like every other weekend in the mountains for the last few years, so that helps. Gas prices and other obligations are putting a damper on things this year. We're planning on spending a lot more time "training " when the weather cools down a bit, late August and on. A few 80 degree humid days makes me long for winter hiking!

I also agree with Val and Bill, because I breathe heavily on "the steeps" but I recover pretty quickly. I know of some extreme hikers who do things in a day that I would take two to do. I doubt they ever get very "out of breath" but I think they are the exception, not the rule.

KDT

Thanks

i am happy to hear that others have breathing heavy when hiking .

i am doing some of what bill does and trying to recover from my heavy breathing fast and trying to drop some weight .im 278 and that's a lot to move around
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    What's that? I actually consider myself in terrible shape.
    I also agree with Val and Bill, because I breathe heavily on "the steeps" but I recover pretty quickly. I know of some extreme hikers who do things in a day that I would take two to do. I doubt they ever get very "out of breath" but I think they are the exception, not the rule.

KDT
    Hard to believe that anyone who's done the 4Ks over 3 times is in terrible shape. I look at your TRs each weekend and imagine how sore I'd be on Monday morning (although it would be worth it). Based on the times you guys turn in for these routes I'm pretty sure I'd be out of breath on the steep sections too. Of course you have to keep pace with Emma
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    Hard to believe that anyone who's done the 4Ks over 3 times is in terrible shape. I look at your TRs each weekend and imagine how sore I'd be on Monday morning (although it would be worth it). Based on the times you guys turn in for these routes I'm pretty sure I'd be out of breath on the steep sections too. Of course you have to keep pace with Emma
    I don't think I would even try to keep pace with a 15 lb.-4 legged animal like Emma. You might as well just shoot me in the head at the trailhead. I'm sure Emma does a lot of looking back to see where her "slower" hiking buddies are.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???