Thread: What boots?

Thanks

Default What boots?

Hi,

I'm about to invest in my first pair of plastic boots. I have been mountaineering quite happily in leather boots for years but as I move to colder reaches they have become less comfortable. The range of boots available is a bit overwhelming and at the price I can't afford to learn by trial and error so, what are your favorite brads? models? all information welcome

Thanks!

Thanks

Koflach Degre, they are very comfortable.

Make sure you get the right boots. Some are made specifically for ice climbing while other are made for extreme cold weather. Sounds like you want just a general mountaineering boot for snow/winter.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default boots

I don't think you can go wrong with either Koflachs (degre or artis expe) or Scarpa (inverno) - I've owned and worn them all. The degre is not as warm as the artis expe, the inverno is similar to the degre, they even make a high altitude liner to make the inverno even warmer. If you are going to do overnight climbing/camping, then definitely get a 2 piece boot, like the ones mentioned above. You'll want to take the liners out at night and either put them in your sleeping bag or right next to it so they dry out and don't freeze. If you are doing just day trips or ice climbing, then consider the newer, softer one piece boots. I have no experience with those, but I think they would be more comfortable. Many of the guides I've ice climbed with use them, which is good testimonial. Hope this helps.
    Tim

Thanks

Thanks! very useful information.

I recently had a chance to test the Scarpa's and didn't like them. There's also a rumor around that Koflach has stopped making plastic boots and people seem to be moving over to LaSportiva, do you have any experience with these?

Thanks again!

Thanks

I had Invernos as well. Adjusting for the fact that they were too big, they were still incredibly uncomfortable.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Hey,

I am new here, but not new to mountaineering boots.

I have two pair of Koflachs. One are the degree boot which was already mentioned. It is great for lower elevations and lightweight and as comfortable as plastic boots can be for day hikes. Up higher and in colder weather say 20 degrees and colder, I would recommend the Koflach arctis expe, but since they no longer make Koflachs it will be hard to find without some luck and good web searching. If I had to purchase another pair of double boots I would go with Asolo.