Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A quick question regarding a hike tomorrow...

Thanks

Default A quick question regarding a hike tomorrow...

I saw that Tuckerman Ravine trail above Hermit Lake was closed. My question is how exactly does the forest service define 'closed'? Does it mean "Don't even think about setting one foot beyond Hermit Lake or we'll sic our trained combat grizzlies on you and then jail you for life" or is it more "Oh, you just want to walk up a little way to see snow in July? Sure, no worries, mate"?

Y'see, I've a friend who's biggest mountain is Mount Major a couple weeks ago, and who is totally unfamiliar with mountains. She was quite surprised to see my photos of snow in Crawford notch back in early May - she'd love to see a snowman in July. Would anybody mind, d'y'think, if I just sorta snuck up far enough to see the snow?

Thanks for enduring my silly questions, cormades.

And of course, I'll bring back pictures tomorrow.

Thanks

Default Bowl

You can go into the Bowl, you just can't take the trail to the summit. Never mind the snow in July, I think it will be the July 4th skiers that impress her.

KDT

Thanks

Is it really still deep enough to ski even now? That's pretty neat. I'll definitely have to go take a peek then.

My dad's never done Bott's Spur in his 45 years or so of White Mountain hiking, so we're planning to do that on the way up, then sneak over to Monroe after we summit. I'll have to persuade him to come down Lion Head, then...

Are you going to be up this weekend, KD?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe View Post
    Is it really still deep enough to ski even now? That's pretty neat. I'll definitely have to go take a peek then.

My dad's never done Bott's Spur in his 45 years or so of White Mountain hiking, so we're planning to do that on the way up, then sneak over to Monroe after we summit. I'll have to persuade him to come down Lion Head, then...

Are you going to be up this weekend, KD?
    That is a rather round and about way of going. I would think about up Lions Head - summit - Monroe - then down Boott Spur. That route would be far less trekking back and forth on the ridge.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Plan

The plan is to hike Jefferson and Adams tomorrow if the weather holds. Another group I know is doing the traverse from Madison to Pierce, maybe Jackson. If you see a group of Uncle Sams on the summit of MW, that's them.

If you go up Boott Spur Trail take the Camel Trail to Monroe/Lakes. From there you can decide if you want to summit MW, or you can head back on Tuckerman Crossover to Lion Head. Tuckerman Ravine Trail is closed between the Bowl and the Lip.

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 07-03-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks

Its not, but people still ski anyway.

Personally, I'd rather ski down my stairs.

But yes, you can walk up and see the snow in the bowl. I do know the exact policies, but you wouldn't want to attempt the trail above that. Its a no fall zone and would be very mixed/muddy.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Talking Snow arch

Anyone keeping tabs on the snow arch? If the trail's still closed going up the headwall now, what's the chances of seeing it by STP? Wouldn't that be great if the arch was there the same time Tux trail opened. Think there'd be a stampede of STPers' to see it? HMMM, snow arch,...frothy head on a pint of Guinness. Anyone else see the connection?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Great Guinness Ghost View Post
    Anyone keeping tabs on the snow arch? If the trail's still closed going up the headwall now, what's the chances of seeing it by STP? Wouldn't that be great if the arch was there the same time Tux trail opened. Think there'd be a stampede of STPers' to see it? HMMM, snow arch,...frothy head on a pint of Guinness. Anyone else see the connection?
    The snow arch will be there long after the Tuck's trail opens. The end of July is certainly within range at this point.

I totally forgot about the little snow arch contest.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

KD, were you climbing today? What a specular day, eh? Not only snow, but skiers in July and perfect visibility on a mountain notorious for fog...as good as it gets here.

How about a few photos?

Bootts Spur:

Tuckerman's:

Annnd my faithful traveling companion relaxing by the lake before tackling Monroe, then rushing frantically to Washington to try to beat the rest of our party who'd gone straight from Bootts Spur to MW:

I can safely say that was the best hike of my life, such perfect weather coinciding with a trip to Washington...

By the way, what's the proper etiquette for passing someone on the trail? On the run from Lake of the Clouds to the Summit, I had to pass 6 or 7 separate parties, and I couldn't help but feel a bit rude. Should it not be done?

Thanks

By the way, what's the proper etiquette for passing someone on the trail? On the run from Lake of the Clouds to the Summit, I had to pass 6 or 7 separate parties, and I couldn't help but feel a bit rude. Should it not be done?
    Representing those who are being passed - have at it. If your pace is faster than mine, ask to go on by if I do not hear you. "Coming through" - "Have a great day" - "Thanks" and it works fine. Not everyone goes the same pace.

Some places will be easier for everyone involved to do the pass.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012