Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help With Knee Brace/wrap

Thanks

As an ER tech, I would advise you to go to a orthopedist ASAP! Every time I'm at work I see men who come in after suffering for days and things are usually a lot worse then when it started. I also think the doctor would be able to fit you for a brace properly!! Often people buy the wrong size brace or wrong type and it cuts off circulation good luck!

Thanks

Well I have gone and done it. I went against everything my loving wife told me and everyone that responded to this post and I waited to do STP before making an apointment to go to my doctor. I started up to the summit on the Ammo trail @ 5:00 am Sat. morning and felt great 3/4 the way up to the summit from the Lake of Clouds Hut going at a nice slow and steady pace but all of a sudden my knee started to bother me. Well I got to the summit at 9:45 am and sat down for a snack and when I stood up wow my leg almost gave out. So I sat and thought until 10:30 should I take the cog down or go for it down to the Jewell trail. I really felt I would be cheating everybody who sponsored me if I did that so I told myself to just take it easy and go slow. BAD idea right around tree line my knee said see ya I'm not even going to bend anymore so I started to favor that knee (left) and put more weight on my right so about another 1/2 mile down my right knee started to hurt. Well to make this as short as possible it took me 5 hours to get down the Jewell that only took me 3 hours last time. I just got back home because we were in N.H. for the week. It still hurts a little and I am calling my doc on Monday to get me in. I have never felt so much pain in my life. I am a stubborn jacka$$ and I should have listened but I figured I would just take it easy BAD BAD mistake. I only hope that the docs. can do something so that I can be all set for the next STP. I do not want to miss any. I almost did not go to the dinner but I really wanted to go with my wife and 8 year old daughter. Now they both want to do the hike with me next year.I really want to get some more hikes in this year but if the doc. says no then I will do what he says so that next year I will be all set.
    Sorry so long but just trying to vent my aggrevation even thou I brought it on myself.

Thanks

Chris, good luck with this and with some work you will back and hiking again.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

wow Chris i thought my legs were in bad shape when i got to the car
    i know what your talking about i had my knee lock up and had to have a lot of cartilage taking out 18yrs ago and now it is fine
    so keep us posted on what they say

good luck
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Might want to read this, while you're resting:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forum...ad.php?t=18392

Tim

Thanks

awwwww....sorry it worked out this way for you chris....i know all about putting things off thinking....or in the hopes that things will get better....good luck and im sure youll be all set to rock and roll after treatment....

Thanks

Best of luck Chris. I've got many of the same knee problems (including a torn ACL for the last 5 years) and I've been putting off getting them fixed as well. I was fortunate to be OK with STP and several more days of hiking last week but my knees are acting up since I've been home. It's so hard to commit to the time off needed for repair and recovery but I'm sure it is the best route in the end. I try to take all of the precautions including treking poles, knee braces (which I find held a lot in my case by helping to keep things aligned) and Sole heat moldable insoles to cure my over pronation. I'm afraid that these are just a temporary fix however. Look forward to hearing how you make out with the doc. Hopefully a simple fix and fast recovery.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Chris, I would have done the same thing I imagine. The thought of canceling a hike because of not knowing if I could do it would be too much to bear. I am glad you made it out o.k. and hopefully you will get it fixed so you can have many more enjoyable hikes.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Thanks for all your replies everybody and I can't wait to get to the docs. to get it taken care of. The sooner the better and I only hope it won't take to long to fix as I really wanted to get some hiking in this fall but what ever needs to be done. I am not going to rush anything as to make sure everything will be all set for next year. I will let you know what happens as soon as I can get in.

Thanks

Thanks Tim for that link that was incredible but it is a little bit scary knowing everything you went thru. It is really making me nervous going to the docs. I just started hiking in fact I have only hiked the Welch-Dickey loop once and Washington twice but I cannot think of anything else I have enjoyed as much as hiking.Thanks again and I will post as soon as I can get in to docs.