Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Where's Karl?

Thanks

I just checked the "Where's Karl" web site and found the following update. I guess Andrew Thompson's record is still the one to beat. One can only wonder if the 53 mile day through the Whites was the main cause; or a combination of that and running/walking far differing miles per day. Another runner who has tried the trail thought that trying to do about the same amount of MPD was easier on your body. Karl's plan to only stay at roadside in the RV hampered trying to do more consistent mileage and I thought that was a big mistake. Of course sitting here in front of my computer, it's easy to second guess Karl. Still an amazing effort.
    "My Anterior Tibialas is tweaking. It’s swollen and unrunnable right now. Needless to say, the record will remain in AT’s (Andrew Thompson) hands. My plan now is to pop vitamin P (Prednisone) for a few days and see what happens, along with ice baths a few times a day. I am not quitting yet, vitamin P sometimes has an incredible affect on inflammation, and I will continue if it comes around….quitting this early is not an option. Thanks for all the support and cross your fingers, cuz’ it ain’t over yet."

Thanks

Good for him for listening to his body. Resting and taking care of that now will enable him to try again another year. Wise man.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrishandAlex View Post
    Good gracious, I cannot fathom the capabilities of this guy. I mean, wow. Just wow. Truly incredible.
    In terms of trail running he might be the best, in terms of being an all around athlete that's debatable. He has a very specialized body made for doing one thing...running he Appalachian Trail. I bet most of the people on this forum could jump higher than he can.

Damn, I wish I had posted my call earlier. I was going to take the bet against him making it the whole distance. Mostly based on the odds and injuries.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

He is saying he is taking one day off and expects to be on the trail tomorrow.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    He is saying he is taking one day off and expects to be on the trail tomorrow.
    That's what I saw too, I'm getting mixed signals here.

He must have quite a system to keep his feet in working order. Just a few miles a day can take its toll.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default will karl keep running??

Don't ever count anyone out but I will say he came out of the gates strong!!!!!! Maine 8 days and 52 mile Washington day. As I said in previous post the 52 mile day seems to have been the rough day. How can you run a double marathon over Washington and expect your body to keep going for another 37 days averaging 45 miles every day. If he does not continue it will go to show that the East coast does have some mountains

Thanks

Just to do what he has done to date is amazing to me. Not to mention continuing for the next month.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    He must have quite a system to keep his feet in working order. Just a few miles a day can take its toll.
    I guess not...he's got trench foot. I don't understand why they didn't manage his feet better. Dry boots and clean socks at every major road crossing. A thorough wash down in the evening and drying over night.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

With all the photo's of his feet every night I thought they were taking care of them.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Don't see update. Is he done? The record is gone but will he still continue to finish trail?? Boy do I know oh so well how those Maine trails turn into rivers. I rarely had dry feet in Maine from trails turned into rivers and stream and river crossings the feet were almost always wet. There was a point well made though with all the logging roads that intersect the A.T. up there Karl could have had dry socks and shoes as often as needed them. There was no reason he had to have wet feet so often. constant wet feet do make things more interesting.