Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home at the Range on the Summit

Thanks

Default Home at the Range on the Summit

I had the pleasure of volunteering on the summit last summer. It was an unforgettable experience and I hope to return when my schedule permits. Before I left, I remember having a conversation about the tempermental, half century old, six burner cooking apparatus in the kitchen. It went along the lines of my having to delay dinner one night since I couldn't get the thing to hold temperature and cook a rather large portion of meat all the way through.

During the same conversation, I mentioned I would like to find a newer range for the summit, but I had no way of getting it to the top. I can't remember if it was Scot or Ken who chimed in, mentioning that "If I got it to the base, he'd get it to the summit."

Well jeez...a whole year has gone by and I was just remembering that conversation and wondering if the folks really do need or even want a new cooktop.

I propose this....

I'd like to hear from Volunteers and Staff in an effort to answer the question....Do you need a new range?

If so, I'd like to get some necessary specifications so I may search in earnest for a modern replacement that could somehow be shipped to the base of the mountain.

I have no idea how much this would all cost, but as my donation to the Obs and to the stomachs of everyone up there working and volunteering, I will foot the lions share of the cost (as long as we're not talking about something requiring a mortgage). If anyone else...volunteer or otherwise would like to donate to this endeavor, please let me know and I'll make every effort to keep everyone posted.

This might be a pipe dream or something deemed not worthwhile.....but....I'm willing to give it a whirl.

I shall await your comments.

Jeff Weinberg - Summit Volunteer - June '07

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timechime View Post
    I had the pleasure of volunteering on the summit last summer. It was an unforgettable experience and I hope to return when my schedule permits. Before I left, I remember having a conversation about the tempermental, half century old, six burner cooking apparatus in the kitchen. It went along the lines of my having to delay dinner one night since I couldn't get the thing to hold temperature and cook a rather large portion of meat all the way through.

During the same conversation, I mentioned I would like to find a newer range for the summit, but I had no way of getting it to the top. I can't remember if it was Scot or Ken who chimed in, mentioning that "If I got it to the base, he'd get it to the summit."

Well jeez...a whole year has gone by and I was just remembering that conversation and wondering if the folks really do need or even want a new cooktop.

I propose this....

I'd like to hear from Volunteers and Staff in an effort to answer the question....Do you need a new range?

If so, I'd like to get some necessary specifications so I may search in earnest for a modern replacement that could somehow be shipped to the base of the mountain.

I have no idea how much this would all cost, but as my donation to the Obs and to the stomachs of everyone up there working and volunteering, I will foot the lions share of the cost (as long as we're not talking about something requiring a mortgage). If anyone else...volunteer or otherwise would like to donate to this endeavor, please let me know and I'll make every effort to keep everyone posted.

This might be a pipe dream or something deemed not worthwhile.....but....I'm willing to give it a whirl.

I shall await your comments.

Jeff Weinberg - Summit Volunteer - June '07
    I will be up there volunteering this week and I will let you know what I find concerning the range and if the crew is wanting it replaced or not.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Our week volunteering, was in June this year and I have to tell you.. I enjoyed the old beast. It was the first thing that caught my eye. I said.. " how the hell? " But it worked out fine, takes some tweaking.... 1/2 hour to heat up and runs 100 degrees higher. The six burners is a plus. I'm sure the big question would be energy efficiency?

Jeff, very generous of you! I'm sure you'll get a bunch of opinions on this! If this pipe dream works out, I would like to donate. Good luck.
    "Welcome To My Shop, Let Me Cut Your Mop..." Bugs Bunny

http://public.fotki.com/Kriter/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bretton Woods Brat View Post
    Our week volunteering, was in June this year and I have to tell you.. I enjoyed the old beast. It was the first thing that caught my eye. I said.. " how the hell? " But it worked out fine, takes some tweaking.... 1/2 hour to heat up and runs 100 degrees higher. The six burners is a plus. I'm sure the big question would be energy efficiency?

Jeff, very generous of you! I'm sure you'll get a bunch of opinions on this! If this pipe dream works out, I would like to donate. Good luck.
    Thanks for the heads up. It should help out in planning meals and hopefully not burning dinner!
    Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. It should help out in planning meals and hopefully not burning dinner!
    You could always bring a new one up with you this week when you hike up.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Please let me know...Maybe everyone likes cooking on the old stove and I'm an anomaly...I loved cooking for the crew, but did find I had intermittent problems with temperature and cooking times. Perhaps more experience with the old range would have alleviated that..... Have already started looking just in case and it looks like 36" wide and six burners is the standard. I'm thinking oven space needs to be large...no bells and whistles that would hinder a big ham or roast from going in.

I remember hiking down to the Lakes and several folks passed me several times with frame packs full of supplies coming down from the summit. I could just imagine a range strapped to the frame of one of those packs.

Thanks

Maybe someone could pop it in the canoe as it goes by.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

They really do need a new range up there. On windy days its not uncommon for the flame to blow out. An built-in electric igniter would certainly help.

Don't forget, the oven also needs to be gas.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Maybe someone could pop it in the canoe as it goes by.
    Good idea, and hike it up Ammo.
    Steve

Thanks

You are right about the burners blowing out. While I was there, I was fortunate enough to see 80+MPH winds in June. I remember using an awful lot of those little wooden matches to re-light the burners and oven. I'm assuming the gas is LP and not natural. Usually it isn't hard to change the orifices or order one set up for LP. Electric ignitors are standard now in gas ranges.