Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home at the Range on the Summit

Thanks

I would definitely want Ken & Scot's input.

I'll have to come up from NC again just to try it out. I'll make some of that Mt. Washington Chicken for you Jim.

Thanks

Jeff-

It is nice that you are putting this out there. I would say before this ball gets rolling too far, please talk to Scot or Ken some time this week. You should have the valley number from volunteering. You can either call Karen and be transferred or PM me and I will provide you with their extensions.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

Will do Ryan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2oeco View Post
    Getting the old stove out, and the new stove in will be one of the biggest issues. I helped move out the old dishwasher, and bring in the new, and even that was a tight fit through the doors and stairs.

Ed
    well we can just move the kitchen up stairs and this will make more room for members to spend the night up there
    Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D View Post
    They may have to be dismantled and reassembled to get them switched out. This could be a big job. One for Charlie I think.
    a gas stove is very easy to to take apart if needed or we can make bigger doors also
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

I will be using this old stove for the first time tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Even though I post in the forums now and then, I (unfortunately) don't have the time to dig through each and every thread... Incredible ForestGnome moose pics are always tops on my list, followed by STP threads and other random comments. It's all great stuff, and I wish I had more time between crazy job and crazy kids/home/family to read every word in here.

I have just now read through this entire thread and I want to start by saying thanks to timechime (Jeff) for getting this concept out there. Sorry it has taken me a while to catch on! The short answer is "yes"-- we need a new stove and we want to make it happen sooner than later. We couldn't fit a purchase into our budget plans for this year, so the concept of getting a new stove has been placed (warning: bad pun) on the back burner.

Right after STP, I'm headed to the Cape for a vacation week with the family. Jeff, after I return to the office on August 4, I'd love to talk in detail about what you have in mind.

I just did a very quick search for a 36" dual-fuel commercial-grade range and found this one as an example. There were others for slightly less and substantially more, but we would have to have a discussion at the staff level about our needs and go from there. I imagine that we could get away with a very solid, reliable stove, perfectly suited to our needs for under $5,000.

Just tossing this out there-- I personally think it would be very impressive (if we choose to get moving on this) if we could raise the appropriate $$$ through these forums and through the ranks of volunteers that cook for us. My guess is that many passionate volunteers that have experienced fire literally shooting out at them from our stove might be compelled to give! We could then design some great signage for the kitchen that honors the generous folks that made it all happen. Our volunteer appreciation event in August might just be the place to introduce this idea.

Let's bat this around more in the coming weeks. In the meantime, I'll await your comments. Jeff-- I can be reached at 603-356-2137, ext. 218.

(Does anyone have a helicopter that can extract our existing stove and deliver it to the Smithsonian?)

Best,
    Scot
    MWO Exec. Dir.

Thanks

Talking

Scot,

Glad to see your input on this and I like your ideas. The stove you found is a very nice one. I'd be glad to kick in a sizable chunk for the benefit of future volunteers and staff.

Being one who enjoys cooking a great deal, there is nothing better than creating a good meal using good equipment. Not to say that the range you have isn't good. Its solid and I'm sure many thousands of delicious meals have been put together on brutally cold days to warm the stomachs of everyone on the summit. I do remember hearing some comments about the old beast and thought. "Wow. Wouldn't it be great if these folks up here could have a new range...considering how much cooking goes on...and for so many people."

I remember hatching the idea at the shift change meeting before going down. I believe it was Ken who said "If you get it to the base, I'll get it to the summit." I didn't forget that.

I've only been to the summit for one volunteer stay and hope to be back at some point in the future....but being from way down in NC and having a business to run..that isn't easy.

If you find a range that suits your needs...and I'd be glad to look too...let's see what we can come up with. I've already seen a few pledges from folks commenting on the forum...I bet it wouldn't take long at all.

Maybe some "stove stories" in Windswept and a picture of the "wish" for the summit??

Put the old one on the observation deck and do a sequel to "Rockpile Crunch" with somebody cooking something on a rime encrusted stove.

I will contact you soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fifteendays View Post
    ...Right after STP, I'm headed to the Cape for a vacation week with the family. ....
    I always wondered WHERE someone from MWO would ever want to go for a vacation

Ok, back On Topic ....

Is there an address where donation checks could be sent, made out to "????", memo "????" ?
    Gene .. just one more Swamp Yankee from RI.

Thanks

I'm guessing...if and when the green light is given and the actual stove to be purchased gets nailed down, Scot or Ken will tell us where to send it and how to make it out. We'll be discussing it more when Scot gets back....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
    Is there an address where donation checks could be sent, made out to "????", memo "????" ?
    I would suggest sending checks to the MWO regular address in N Conway that is on the web site. That is where I have sent things in the past.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012