Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Trip to the summit

Thanks

Default Hybrid Trip to the summit

Hi, Just wanted to update you. I finally made the trip up the auto road in my Highlander Hybrid. Went great. Was nimble and sure footed on the way up. Was a little worried about the descent with the cvt. I put it in the B mode and I only had to touch the brakes maybe 5 times on the way down, just crawled along without touching the gas. Was pleasently supprised. When we got to the bottom the battery level indicator was pegged on full. Only time I have seen that. Also on the ascent I still got 25 mpg. Anyone one with a toyota hybrid should go for the ride. It was great.

Thanks

Every time I think about a new car I keep on getting steered (by my son) towards the Highlander Hybrid. It does seem like a nice car and this report is excellent. Thanks.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I've had a Highlander Hybrid for about two years now, and like it a lot. No problems, even pulling a boat from NJ to FL. Haven't had it in mountains much, but has done fine on/in snow, ice, dirt roads, etc. in VT and NH.

Ed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Every time I think about a new car I keep on getting steered (by my son) towards the Highlander Hybrid. It does seem like a nice car and this report is excellent. Thanks.
    Seems like a nice car, just don't buy it to save money on gas...especially if you do a lot of highway miles.

If you drove exclusively on the highway (12,000 miles per year @ $4/gallon) it would take 31.4 years to make up that $5,250 premium you'll pay over the non-hybrid model. I'm guessing the batteries won't last that long.

What if you drive 15,000 miles a year and gas costs $6 per gallon? You're down to 16.8 years to break-even.

Drive in the city? You're in much better shape. With my original numbers you break even in 5 years. My stressed case breaks even in 2.7 years.

Hybrid (city/highway): 27/25
    Regular: 17/23
    Last edited by Bill O; 07-20-2008 at 08:29 PM.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Your car must be a chicken if it beaks even.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

I've been thinking about buying a Ford Escape Hybrid at the end of the year.

Thanks

How about a A MINI COOPER? Base is 18,700 and you can get up to 44 MPG highway. I sold Ford's for three years. The Escape Hybrid is nice but, like Bill said only buy it for the Green reasons and not to save $$$ on gas. I sell MINI's now and they are a ton of fun.... One question about hybrids. What are they going to do with all of these huge batteries when these car are dead? Anyone.....
    Think Snow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donnellyvj View Post
    What are they going to do with all of these huge batteries when these car are dead? Anyone.....
    Toyota will take the batteries back, probably to be dismantled and reused. I don't know about the other companies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donnellyvj View Post
    The Escape Hybrid is nice but, like Bill said only buy it for the Green reasons and not to save $$$ on gas.
    Finally, somebody else can also see the light.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    Finally, somebody else can also see the light.
    If no one had purchased a VHS recorder in 1980, we would not have had the technological progression that brought us DVDs and Blu-Ray today. Buying a hybrid tells car makers that you want them to invest in new technologies, which, in time, will become far more economical and green than today's hybrids. Use your consumer vote!