Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Wind Speed follow up

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado, for now
    Posts
    468
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    I mostly agree with you on that. I guess that my point is that if unmanned modular systems could be deployed in more locations, the added information would be useful. As you said, having that "probe" into the atmosphere is a valuable tool. Even if it were only seasonable in some locations. Besides it is a good opportunity for the Obs folks to get some more grant money.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,679
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrad Fischroy
    I guess that my point is that if unmanned modular systems could be deployed in more locations, the added information would be useful. As you said, having that "probe" into the atmosphere is a valuable tool. Even if it were only seasonable in some locations.
    Where money allows they very much are. The Salt Lake Valley and surrounding mountains are a perfect example. It's called Mesowest and was largely funded and created to aid the 2002 winter Olympics:

    Mesowest

    Zoom into Salt Lake city and the surrounding mountains. All these feed data into local models that help create an amazingly detailed weather model of Utah.

    Like you mentioned, many of the mountain top locations are seasonal. They are used to record snowpack data (that's where all their water comes from) and to help forecast avalanches.

    While they get 2 to 3 times more snow in Utah than Mount Washington, they do not have a riming problem. This allows these basic weather stations to be easily deployed.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    planet earth
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    based on the opinions of veteran meteorologists that have staffed the observatory for many years,with their own data to back up their opinion,the wind speed record on mount washington will stand for an eterinity. one of those reasons is that the observatory has been moved to a different location.
    GA -> ME "05"
    hi chickety!!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    89
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'm largely against definate, infinates and can't happens. Because it hasn't happened from the northwest in the 25 years in this building doesn't mean that a hundred or 500 year blow from the NW won't come along and break the record...

    The staff I worked with and talked to realize that it's not likely to happen from the SE again with the current setup, but the NW has given some strong gusts in the past above 180...

    And...it's long been talked about adding another pitot to the SE side of the summit...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,679
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afmrintern
    I'm largely against definate, infinates and can't happens. Because it hasn't happened from the northwest in the 25 years in this building doesn't mean that a hundred or 500 year blow from the NW won't come along and break the record...

    The staff I worked with and talked to realize that it's not likely to happen from the SE again with the current setup, but the NW has given some strong gusts in the past above 180...

    And...it's long been talked about adding another pitot to the SE side of the summit...
    The climate record is very short for Mount Washington. Its entirely possible that the 231mph was just a 100 year event, or maybe it was a 500 year event.

    I agree that the current location of the observatory is not the best for recording southeast winds. A great addition to the suite of instruments would be an anemometer on the southeast aspect of the mountain.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    542
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    ...Its entirely possible that the 231mph was just a 100 year event, or maybe it was a 500 year event.
    Amazing that it happened a mere 2 years after the reoccupation of the summit for weather observations!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,679
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D
    Amazing that it happened a mere 2 years after the reoccupation of the summit for weather observations!
    Amazingly lucky or amazingly convenient?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado, for now
    Posts
    468
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Amazingly lucky or amazingly convenient?

    Do I detect a note of cynicism? Would you care to elaborate? This is, after all a note of extreme pride with the summit staff and others. Witness the hoopla a few years ago when there was another reported high wind event in the South Pacific, as I recall.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    542
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    I think Bill was asking about my motives.

    The record wind speed was confirmed by employees of the Blue Hill observatory via radio and the anemometer's calibration was later confirmed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrad Fischroy
    Do I detect a note of cynicism? Would you care to elaborate? This is, after all a note of extreme pride with the summit staff and others. Witness the hoopla a few years ago when there was another reported high wind event in the South Pacific, as I recall.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,679
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrad Fischroy
    Do I detect a note of cynicism? Would you care to elaborate? This is, after all a note of extreme pride with the summit staff and others. Witness the hoopla a few years ago when there was another reported high wind event in the South Pacific, as I recall.
    My only skepticism comes from the fact that in the 1930's people still lived in caves. Fire was the latest rage, and giant dinosaurs posed the greatest threat to human life. I pieced this together from "Far Side" cartoons.

    Besides that, if it wasn't for skeptics the world record wind would be in Guam.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •