Thread: Wild weather today

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Wild weather today

The weather across southern NE was really wild today! We had a thunderstorm go through RI mid-afternoon that was the worst I'd ever seen. The sky was so black it looked like midnight! Only lasted about an hour and blew through. There were tornadoes reported in northern RI and southern MA as well. We got couple of pretty strong thunderstorm follow-ups over the later afternoon and evening. How were things up north? Hopefully the wild stuff is getting past before Saturday. Today's summit forecast had an uncharacteristic long term prediction for STP that didn't sound too bad.

Breaking policy again, I will discuss the forecast into Saturday for Seek the Peak. The large area of upper level low pressure that formed a closed low early this week will begin to retreat northward becoming an upper level trough. Friday into Saturday morning, the flow looks to become zonal and a brief surface high will build for Friday. During the day on Saturday though, the trough dips back in setting up southwesterly flow and a low to the north and to the south will generate instability which will bring a chance of showers and afternoon thunderstorms with frontal passage poised for the afternoon/evening of Saturday. So rain gear should be packed since the chance of showers in the morning is 30-50 percent and the afternoon is looking like 40-60 percent as of now. Stay tuned to the next few days as models become more refined.
    Looks like an early start is in order. Get back early and get a dry spot in the "Turkey Tent"...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

the weather has been crazy in connecticut as well....we had wicked winds last night around midnight and a thunderstorm kicked up like ive never seen leaving much wind damage and approx 24,000 without power....today was very foggy with lots of rain....the town just north to us was spanked this afternoon....lots of wind damage from what im hearing although nothing has been confirmed as of yet....

Thanks

I'm in North Jersey and we got pouned last night. Not too much wind, but really heavy rain and a lightening show that lasted about 4 hours. It was like fireworks right outside my window. My poor kitty wouldn't come out from under the bed.

Thanks

snagged this shot of WMUR's user submitted photos

taken in Dover, NH midday

Thanks

Yikes, some real damage in Epsom, with one death. Nasty stuff.
    Mark
    Randomography
    MJ Pics