Thread: Huntington Ravine

Thanks

Default Huntington Ravine

I went up through Huntington this past weekend for the first time and concluded that the potential for serious injury outweighs the satisfaction of completing the hike.

I was wondering if anyone has taken a different route to the top that was a little safer. I don't mind taking a skidding fall on some ledge...I just mind taking a skidding fall off a cliff. In particular, I was wondering if anyone has done Diagonal Gully in the Summer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I certainly can understand your sentiments on the route...

The headwall of huntington ravine is considered to be above treeline and hosts rare alpine and snowbank communities. It is seriously frowned upon to stray from the trails in the ravines during the summer/thawed months when these plants aren't protected by snow and ice. I would instead recommend exploring some other trails up...Boott Spur, Great Gulf, Nelson Crag...etc...
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice. How about straight up Central on a dry day w/ some protection?

Thanks

There are rock climbing routes in Huntington. I'm not familiar with any of them though.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Rock climbing routes

I'm not positive, but I believe for the most part they are technical climbing routes, so not really an alternative to the main trail.

More info here:

http://www.chauvinguides.com/hunticeguide2.htm

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hbandp View Post
    Thanks for the advice. How about straight up Central on a dry day w/ some protection?
    Yes, there are many 5th class climbing routes in Huntington Ravine.

While there are many no-fall zones along the HRT, its nothing more than a scramble. Fairly common in the western mountains and a nice alternative to the many walking paths in New England. I thought the most treacherous parts of the climb were on the very bottom of the fan in the large boulders.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Exclamation falling rocks in Central Gully

When I went up the Huntington Ravine trail on the Fourth of July there was a nasty rock fall down the Central gully. We had been sitting at the base of the Gully with two other hikers about 20 min before the rock fall. I don't know if falling rocks are a common problem in the Ravine, but I wouldn't go up some of the Gullies after seeing such a huge rock fall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdp_parker View Post
    We had been sitting at the base of the Gully with two other hikers about 20 min before the rock fall.
    That's something that needs to more respected in places like Huntington. You wouldn't sit at the base of a serac on Mount Rainer and you shouldn't sit at the base of a gully of if there is a potential for rockfall.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

I was just reading a book about mountaineering, and it tells of a man who'd climbed Everest falling to his death in Huntington. Weird, eh?

Still my favourite trail, though, at least til I try King's Ravine...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe View Post
    I was just reading a book about mountaineering, and it tells of a man who'd climbed Everest falling to his death in Huntington. Weird, eh?
    A good way to remind us that we need to respect all of the mountains. Watching some of the people hiking last week it's clear that many think they are in a theme park. No safety belts or handrails out there!

Clearly not the case for the person from the mountaineering book - which makes it all the more eye opening.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page