Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning Stage for Fall Vacation

Thanks

Default Planning Stage for Fall Vacation

My wife and I are currently in the early stages of planning out Fall vacation in the White Mountains. I'm trying to get in shape by stairstepping three times a week and hiking locally on weekends. Right now I'm up to 30 minutes on the stairstepper and hopefully will increase the difficulty level but remain at the present time limit. I find it difficult to visualize hiking in the White Mountains while stairstepping in 90 degree heat and humidity.
    Some of the possible hikes we have planned are: the Carters, Huntington Ravine, the Hancocks, the Twins, Mt. Flume, the Kinsmans or Moats. With the possibility of only doing a maximum of 5 hikes on this trip; any suggestions about preferences?
    Another thing I've been thinking about is trail snacks. Lately we've been taking Honey Stinger bars which have been pretty tasty. I want to try Dr. Bonner's Alpsnack bars. Has anyone tried these. They come in about 5different flavors.

Thanks

Default Hikes

" I find it difficult to visualize hiking in the White Mountains while stairstepping in 90 degree heat and humidity."

That's because you lack the main ingredient. Blackflies eating you alive! Hike up here in June and July and you'll find it easier to visualize. On a hot day, under the canopy of the forest, with no air moving. No fun. IMO the best time to hike is late September, early October. No heat and humidity, no bugs.

All the hikes you have named are great hikes and have their own merits. Huntington is a must do in my book, as others will attest to. Be forewarned that it is considered the hardest regular hiking trail in the White Mountains. If you don't like heights or rock scrambling choose something else. This hike should only be made on a good weather day. If you have the White Mountain Guide read up on this hike before attempting it.

Of the other hikes you mention, I am partial to the Twins, fantastic views, and the Carters. On a trip to the Carters be sure to visit Mount Hight, the best view in the range. If you go from Zeta Pass it is easier to visit Carter Dome, then visit Mount Hight on the way back.

Can't help you with the snacks. I like fluffernutters.

Have fun and post your pics and TR's!

KDT

Thanks

Smile The Bonds / Galehead hut

I suggest you make a hike to the Bonds as one of your 5 hikes. As I always tell people the one hike you MUST do in the Whites is the "Bond cliffs". If you do the Bonds and you are into staying in one of the A.M.C. huts you can also tie in Galehead Hut. Really all the hikes in the Franconia ridge loop are incredible. Maybe look into Falling waters, old bridle path loop also. This hike takes you up over Lafayette and then down past greenleaf hut. Just some suggestions. Whatever hikes you choose enjoy and have a great time. As K.D. says Fall in the Whites is an amazing time of year to hike.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex View Post
    I suggest you make a hike to the Bonds as one of your 5 hikes. As I always tell people the one hike you MUST do in the Whites is the "Bond cliffs". If you do the Bonds and you are into staying in one of the A.M.C. huts you can also tie in Galehead Hut. Really all the hikes in the Franconia ridge loop are incredible. Maybe look into Falling waters, old bridle path loop also. This hike takes you up over Lafayette and then down past greenleaf hut. Just some suggestions. Whatever hikes you choose enjoy and have a great time. As K.D. says Fall in the Whites is an amazing time of year to hike.
    I'm in agreement with Rex on a couple points here! Anything on the Franconia Ridge will be fantastic in the fall, assuming you have a good weather day of course. You can do the Falling Waters/Old Bridle Path loop over Mts Lincoln/Lafayette or the Liberty Springs/Franconia Ridge "out and back" to Mts Liberty and Flume. Both are gorgeous. There's more ridge-walking on the loop, but both have spectacular views.

Bondcliff will leave you speechless. You didn't mention if you were looking at dayhiking only or possibly an overnight. Bondcliff can be a long dayhike, about 18 miles, but about 10 of that is really flat, if you go in via Lincoln Woods. As Rex mentioned, you can tie it in with a stay at Galehead (or even Zealand) hut and that would reduce your daily mileage.

Enjoy!! Autumn in NH is a wonderful way to spend vacation!!
    Valerie

Thanks

KT, we did Mount Hight last winter; what a blast especially the last 1/4 mile where I had to plow through 4 foot drifts.
    I failed to mention that the hikes we plan will all be day hikes. I have Huntington Ravine at the top of my list; but, my wife is a bit scared. We've done the Precipice trail in Acadia and also the Knifes Edge in Baxter State Park (in Maine).
    As far as the Black flies; we had an experience about 5 years ago when we went to New Hampshire in June. My wife ended up with 21 black fly bites on her neck even though we hiked with head nets and log sleeves. To say the least her neck was a bloody mess. Here in Baltimore we have the tiger mosqitoes which carry the West Nile Virus. It's so bad that we can't sit outside. They are out all day not just in the evenings.
    I've got to try the fluffernutters. Who makes them?
    We will be in New Hampshire around the 21st of October; hopefully after all the leaf peepers have left. Other hikes I failed to mention were East Pond and Nancy Pond Trails. Any opinions on these?

Thanks

Default Fluffernutters!

"I've got to try the fluffernutters. Who makes them?"

OK, I'm old, so I'll try to sound young. "Dude,you make 'em!" You can learn a lot from your elders! Right Brad?

Fluff is the marshmallow stuff that comes in a jar. The stuff you put on top of your hot cocoa. A "Fluffernutter" is this with peanut butter on your favorite kind of bread. Old school.

The Fluff gives you the initial "Sugar Shock" and the PB gives you the long lasting energy. I can go all day on a couple of these and it's way cheaper than designer energy bars!

You guys will be getting here a little late for the foliage, though the oaks will still look nice. There may even be snow on the higher summits.

If you've done the Knife Edge and Precipice, Huntington will present no special challenges. Pick a good, dry, high pressure day, that's all.

We got West Nile and Triple E, too. Skita's an' Blackflies only cause mild insanity. For real insanity you have to check out Deer Flies! They're all a bad memory come October, though!

East Pond and Nancy Pond Trails are great destinations. The trip shouldn't be about the destination, though! It's the trip itself that matters. Listen for Nancy's ghost wailing near the pond, it will curdle your blood! She's there, and she's not too fond of visitors.

KDT

Thanks

Now you guys are bringing back great memories! Fluffernutters must be made right though. The peanut butter goes on both slices of break first. Fluff goes in between. The same is done for PB&J sandwiches. The peanut butter layers prevents seepage through the bread.

I can remember (many many years ago) getting to the top of Bond at sunset. The trees were like velvet in the glow and you could reach out and touch them miles away. It was a fantastic time. Then we came down as the light went dim.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Talking fluffernutters

Oh, my goodness - YUM!!!
    I'm hungry now.
    I haven't thought about them in decades.

>^..^<

Thanks

I asked around work and found many people know about Fluffernutters.
    I've gone so far as to go on their web site where they have a cute video.
    My wife picked up a jar of the Fluff so all we need is the peanut butter and bread. I was even thinking of using raisin bread instead of plain white (bread); maybe getting a little more "energy" from the raisins.
    Although apprehensive about Huntington Ravine it has sparked a curiosity about the various slabs. We checked out various websites like Hiker Bob when he did the Ravine trail; I believe in August of 06.
    The foliage, although spectacular, isn't a priority but getting away to our favorite hiking spots is. As it looks now we will be stopping in Maine first and then spending half our time in Jackson, the other half around Franconia.
    Hope to see some VFTT hikers when we visit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Now you guys are bringing back great memories! Fluffernutters must be made right though. The peanut butter goes on both slices of break first. Fluff goes in between. The same is done for PB&J sandwiches. The peanut butter layers prevents seepage through the bread.
    Careful Brad, this process that you describe has been the subject of a large lawsuit for patent infringment. Yes, this is a patented process. It was described as a part of the patent for a sealed sandwich with the crust cut off that Smuckers bought. Now they don't mention Fluff (TM), their patent is for a PB&J, but it is dangerously close.
    http://www.itworld.com/NWW_1-29-01_opinion

Note the third paragraph for the patent description.