Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "easiest" 4000-footer..?

Thanks

Default "easiest" 4000-footer..?

Hey there --

My husband's going out of town again soon, but I don't want to wait until he returns to go hiking again!

This means I need to bring Sage, my 3 year old, on our next peakbagging adventure.

I will need to carry her most (if not all) of the way -- plus, I always carry a large pack with emergency gear, clothes, etc. for myself and for Alex.

So, for my sake, what do you think is the easiest 4000-er? Pretend you're carrying a 20 pound pack and a 30 pound child....

Any trails that are not too steep and not too terrible rocky?

Or do I just have to bite the bullet and wait more weeks than I want to before we set out again?

Longer and not-so-steep works better for us than shorter and steeper.
    Last edited by TrishandAlex; 07-31-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Thanks

I remember Jackson being quite easy. But I did go in the winter, so I don't know how rocky it is. There a friendly little bird at the top that followed me around too. If he's still around, your daughter would love him.

I think it's only a 5 mile round trip, with some lovely little brooks on the way.

Thanks

Smile Easiest 4,000' for families???

My guess would be Mt. Tom coming up from 302 on the Avalon / A-Z trail would be your easiest. This could be done with a kid in the pack and the ability to carry what you need. The trail is not difficult but the mileage might be higher than what you are looking for. I have seen many families do this hike. Mount Tom has some nice views also.

Thanks

Tecumseh, Hale, and Waumbek are in my opinion the easiest ones to knock off. None of them have good views though.

Thanks

Yeah, I was going to suggest Tecumseh too, but you can't see much. Tom is the same way. Easy, but fairly pointless. Jackson has a decent view, and is an easy climb.

Although, cute little birdies like this fella I met on Tom earlier this year almost make it worth it.

Thanks

Thanks, folks. We've already done Tecumseh. I guess we'll choose between Tom, Jackson or Waumbek.

Thanks

Between those three, I would pick Waumbek or Tom. Waumbek has about the same views as Tecumseh. Tom has at least some possibility for a view if the weather is amenable.

Waumbek was our first 4000-footer in NH. We did see a moose!!

Tom is a fine hike. You've got milestones to aim for every couple miles, which is probably good when you're traveling with kids.

We've seen Gray Jays while hiking both of these (not always on the summit - for example, during the walk to Waumbek, we ran into the Gray Jays on Mt Starr King). They are the most daring birds I've ever seen when it comes to getting food from humans.

Jackson... I can't explain it, I know it's not rational, but I don't like this trail. I've done it in summer and winter. Maybe I need a nice crisp autumn day with no bugs, no humidity. Maybe then I would like it.

Just my 2cents!
    Valerie

Thanks

Considering what you are carrying (valuable cargo!) I would rule out Jackson, I really enjoy, but I didn't descend the ledges near the top carrying what you will be. I also would vote for Tom, then Hale. Have fun!
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

Osceola is also a fairly easy hike and if you are ambitious enough, you can get two peaks in one day. I remember the hike being very graduale mostly, though we did the descent in the rain.

Thanks

the ledges near the top

Ledges? Wow, we must have had a lot of snow when I went - I don't remember any ledges at all. Sure hope we have a doozy of a winter like that again.

They are the most daring birds I've ever seen when it comes to getting food from humans.
    Aren't they neat? I've encountered them on Tom, Field, and Jackson, but only in winter. I suppose they've more to eat in summer and so aren't as desperate.

Waumbek was our first 4000-footer in NH.
    In NH? Have you done them elsewhere, then? I've only done one, Katahdin in Maine.

Anyway, Trish, have fun whichever you decide.

And of course, if you decide you don't want to tackle a 4k mountain with a kid (can't blame you there. ) you could always try Mount Major on Route 11. It's a very easy climb and has a good view of Lake Winnipesaukee.
    Last edited by Acrophobe; 07-31-2008 at 10:36 PM.