Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When will we see the new snow?

Thanks

Default When will we see the new snow?

I'd like to photograph some foliage with some snow-capped peaks. Any ideas when we'll see the higher summits in the clear?
    nature photography of the White Mountains
    by Patrick LaFreniere
    new site: www.pbase.com/myworld

Thanks

There was some beautiful light today. Summit capped in clouds, sun on the foliage, and a crisp snowline.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    There was some beautiful light today. Summit capped in clouds, sun on the foliage, and a crisp snowline.
    Supposed to be nice all week. Joe is talking about doing a hike to a snow cap coming up probably Thursday. I took a drive up the Kancamagus today, most of the beautiful colors have already fallen. I may just have to take a drive tomorrow Gotta go get groceries anyway LOL, what's a few 20 miles more?? To avoid traffic I can drive up the Kanc to Bear Camp Notch Road and head up that way. Enjoy the whole drive **smiles**
    Last edited by MsCntry; 10-03-2008 at 09:14 PM.
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

The models show the summit breaking out of the clouds late Sunday evening into Monday. With a chance of snow showers all weekend it could be nice when it finally happens.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

If I were working and forecasting this week, I would say the best chance will come by Tuesday. There is still a lot of things in the area which are favorable for upsloping. These are (but are not limited to) low level moisture, a weak upper an mid level trough, a favorable moderatly blowing west-northwesterly wind, warm air from the valleys flowing over cooler air on the summits, etc. The MOS numbers seem to reflect this as a drying out does not show up really til Monday night into Tuesday. But even this is questionable, as an intern study found that if the degree spread is 3 degrees or less, there is still a favorable chance of fog. But 850 RH maps show clearing on Tuesday as well as high pressure begins to crest at all levels and dry air from the north back in. So I would say, if in the area, watch for Monday night but I would put better money on Tuesday. Better odds occur on Wednesday on. But this is just for Mt. W. Looking out my window currently, a lot of the summit around my house are in the clear today.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

Well clouds or no clouds, I kept my word. I drove up the Kancamagus to Bear Notch Road, down through Jackson, up 16 and took some great shots, even with the clouds. Came back down 16 hitting traffic that took an hour and a half to get through, stopped got my soda, and headed home in the same kind of traffic Why did I go up north on a weekend???

I will get those pics posted ASAP.
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

ah HA!

Your license plate gave it up! Was YOU!

Late afternoon today ( 5:30) in Pinkham Notch... I expect you got some awesome views of the snowcapped summits fringed below with the fall colors.

good on ya to fight the road wars!

Breeze

Thanks

I still think you have a chance on Monday morning. I'm not talking about blue bird skies, but for photography you're probably not looking for that. Afterall, Ansel Adams' famous photo of Yosemite isn't called "Clear Winter Day".
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Thanks Knapper and BillO. As of this morning, I think tomorrow looks really good. Please feel free to guess which might be the best bet for a clear morning on the summit, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Will the snow melt or will it remain cold enough? Should I lean toward tomorrow considering the melt?

Thanks
    nature photography of the White Mountains
    by Patrick LaFreniere
    new site: www.pbase.com/myworld

Thanks

I'll let Ryan add some thoughts on that. I do know that a clear, dry day even in the 20s can take a serious toll on the rime ice. Sublimation.
    Bill
    EasternLight