Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Undercast?

Thanks

Default Undercast?

I see all of these pictures of undercast skies and they are great. What is the best time of day to see undercast? I would think early morning if the weather conditions are right.
    Last edited by donnellyvj; 10-01-2008 at 09:38 AM.
    Think Snow

Thanks

Well, it has to be cloudy, you have to be on a mountain and those clouds have to be below you. So those factors are more important than time of day.

I've seen undercast up there at all times of the day.

If I had to pick a time it would be the morning. Best chance of valley fog at that time, which isn't really undercast, but enough fog can look like an undercast. Also, an undercast usually involves an inversion which is more likely to occur when the sun isn't giving maximum heat to the surface.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

It is a tricky thing to get...thats for sure. I've had days in a row that were undercast, and fall seems to be the best time for that...with low level moisture trapped below stable air.

Time of day...morning valley fog looks nice from the summit, but doesn't count as undercast. Really, it's just picking it lucky...
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Bill, you smart donkey. You should also mention that it must be daytime, since Donnelly asked for the best time to "see" an undercast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    Well, it has to be cloudy, you have to be on a mountain and those clouds have to be below you. So those factors are more important than time of day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Bill, you smart donkey. You should also mention that it must be daytime, since Donnelly asked for the best time to "see" an undercast.
    I saw an undercast on a bright moonlit night one fine October eve back in '04. Fine for those of us on the summit, of course.

He didn't make it precisely clear he wanted to see one from the mountain. I just wanted to make it known that the odds of seeing one out your back door is quite low.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Sounds good. Maybe I'll get lucky October 12th. I have the Fall thing going so far.
    Last edited by donnellyvj; 10-01-2008 at 06:00 PM.
    Think Snow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donnellyvj View Post
    Sounds good. Maybe I'll get lucky October 12th. I have the Fall thing going so far.
    I think you are right, you just have to get lucky. Tough to forecast, and hard to get to unless you live in the neighborhood. Webcams certainly help.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

I think that one of the biggest factors not yet stated is that you have to be willing to go up the mountain when you can't see the mountain. Alot of people wait for the clear days, but for an undercast...well it's cloudy in the valleys.
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

If a mountain top pokes above the clouds and nobody is there to see it, did it really happen?
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks