Thread: Mt Deception

Thanks

Default Mt Deception

Hi All,

While we were up north for STP, my niece and nephew asked how Mt Deception got its name. They each came up with their own interesting angles on it, and we decided to look it up on the Internet when we got home.

Well, I haven't found anything yet, and I wondered if anyone else had any idea.

If I can't find it, I'm going to flip a coin and let one of the kids' theories rule.

Thanks!
    Valerie

Thanks

Benedict Arnold?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

hey guys....well you got me curious but this is all i could find....hope it helps....

well i cant copy and paste so im going to try and leave the address to the page....i hope it works....im really tech challenged....

http://books.google.com/books?id=KkK...um=6&ct=result

Thanks

ok....i dont think that worked so im going to type out the little blurb i found on it....

in august 1823, three men from a party staying at the Mount Crwford House set out to climb Mount Washington, leaving the women in their group behind. The women, to amuse themselves, set out to climb what appeared to be an easy and scenic hill to the north. The climb turned out to be much longer and more difficult than they ad anticipated, and one of them suggested the name Mount Deception for the mountain. Little Mount Deception is just south of Mount Deception, while Deception Brook heads on Mount Deception's west slopes and flows west and then south into the Ammonoosuc River, until a 1936 USBGN decision, this brook also had been known as Cherry Mountain Brook and White House Brook.

Deception Brook, Mount (3,700 feet)
    Deception, Little Mount (2,435 feet)

From the book titled:

Place Names of the Whites

By:Robert and Mary Julyan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mary View Post
    ok....i dont think that worked so im going to type out the little blurb i found on it....

in august 1823, three men from a party staying at the Mount Crwford House set out to climb Mount Washington, leaving the women in their group behind. The women, to amuse themselves, set out to climb what appeared to be an easy and scenic hill to the north. The climb turned out to be much longer and more difficult than they ad anticipated, and one of them suggested the name Mount Deception for the mountain. Little Mount Deception is just south of Mount Deception, while Deception Brook heads on Mount Deception's west slopes and flows west and then south into the Ammonoosuc River, until a 1936 USBGN decision, this brook also had been known as Cherry Mountain Brook and White House Brook.

Deception Brook, Mount (3,700 feet)
    Deception, Little Mount (2,435 feet)

From the book titled:

Place Names of the Whites

By:Robert and Mary Julyan.

Mary - this is excellent!! Thank you!!

It somewhat supports BOTH kids theories, too! One was banking on the "it's not a 4000-footer, so everyone assumes it will be easy, but it's not" theory and the other had to do with multiple false summits that keep breaking your heart as you try to get to the top!

Valerie