Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Osceolas, Aug. 2, trip report

Thanks

yeah, not my kind of humor! I say find an extra hiking partner.
    Last edited by donnellyvj; 08-04-2008 at 01:05 PM.
    Think Snow

Thanks

The thing is, I don't want an extra hiking partner. I like doing this with my daughter. I refuse to be frightened out of doing something we both enjoy. I'd rather be as personally prepared as possible.

The young woman from Georgia who was killed by a psycho -- his last victims were two people together, a man and a woman. Two male AT thru-hikers, traveling together, were shot a few months ago. There are unfortunately examples of foul play on both sexes, and not just solo hikers.

I'm not stating this to be ornery to you or to anyone else, please understand that. We don't want hiking partners. We just plan to be as prepared as possible. Again, not trying to start a debate here. I just feel that women and girls have as much right to be on the trails as anyone else, and the feminist in me refuses to be frightened out of a fantastic experience by the few kooks out there.

Thanks

I didn't mean I a guy. I just enjoy hiking with my friend as you do with Alex. This is what I was trying to get at. We usually head out with a group of three or four. Makes dinner time alot more fun. I guess you could say I'm a social hiker. hehe
    Last edited by donnellyvj; 08-04-2008 at 05:46 PM.
    Think Snow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donnellyvj View Post
    I didn't mean I a guy. I just enjoy hiking with my friend as you do with Alex. This is what I was trying to get at. We usually head out with a group of three or four. Makes dinner time alot more fun. I guess you could say I'm a social hiker. hehe
    Think Snow
    I think we need to gang up on you. The "Think Snow" part of your signature is disturbing. Can you imagine if all this rain in northern NE were snow? Might be like last winter all over again.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donnellyvj View Post
    Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to jump down your throat. I hope I didn't come across as antagonistic.

Problem is, even if we wanted to go with a group, it's difficult to find hiking buddies who don't mind going at almost twice the book time. Because of Alex's age (and short legs), we almost always take twice as long as anyone else. Though we did make it up Osceola in 4 hours (3.2 miles). For us, that was a record.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrishandAlex View Post
    I would argue that anyone who thinks it funny to stand next to a child with an ax while her mother is still pulling herself up and over a rock scramble deserves to be put in the looney bin. If that was a joke, or just a way to get a "funny" reaction, then that guy is a first class a**hole. Anyone who pulls that kind of a prank deserve to be fully maced in the eyes.
    I'm with you...There is no place for stupidity yet some people think it's funny. It just shows how immature they are.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

No prob. I wish ya luck with whatever you do. It's not like you can take a shotgun out with you. People would end up writing about you in a forum. It's just to bad that we even have to worry about stuff like this. Back to your earlier post. When you are hiking on the weekends its tends to be more busy on trails anyway.
    Think Snow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I think we need to gang up on you. The "Think Snow" part of your signature is disturbing. Can you imagine if all this rain in northern NE were snow? Might be like last winter all over again.

I wonder how much snow it would be. I have no clue what the rain fall totals have been. "Think Sunshine". Is that better. hehe
    Last edited by donnellyvj; 08-04-2008 at 07:28 PM.
    Think Snow

Thanks

Default Hike on!

"I just feel that women and girls have as much right to be on the trails as anyone else, and the feminist in me refuses to be frightened out of a fantastic experience by the few kooks out there." T&A

You are absolutely right, the chances are probably better that you be struck by lightning. I know many independent women who hike alone. If one is prepared to be self sufficient and knowledgeable about the trails and destination, then by all means go for it.

There is a difference in your situation though, and that is your daughter. How would she be able to respond if something were to happen to you? Not from some kook, but say, a broken ankle? Would you be able to spend the night in the woods waiting for help? Would her life, or both of yours be in danger? As long as you are prepared to do this it greatly reduces the risk, and as long as you are willing to accept the responsibility for your daughter who may not be able to make the proper decisions herself, I see no harm in doing this together. In fact, I think it is a wonderful thing that will develop into great bonds between the two of you, but, you have to think of the negative possibilities and have a plan which both you and she can understand.

These of course are just worst case scenarios, but the reality of hiking is that it is somewhat risky. Shock can set in quickly when one is cold and tired. Hypothermia can kill even in the warmer months. A wrong turn, a slip from tired legs, can all turn tragic. As long as one is aware and prepares oneself for the possibilities then there are IMO few better pass-times, and nothing better that one could do with a child.

KDT

PS: Sorry Brad, of the heated driveway, , I'm with donellyvj on this one! Think snow! Damn blackflies drove me nuts in Tucks last Saturday. Give me winter hiking any day, not to mention skiing!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    "There is a difference in your situation though, and that is your daughter. How would she be able to respond if something were to happen to you? Not from some kook, but say, a broken ankle? Would you be able to spend the night in the woods waiting for help? Would her life, or both of yours be in danger? As long as you are prepared to do this it greatly reduces the risk, and as long as you are willing to accept the responsibility for your daughter who may not be able to make the proper decisions herself, I see no harm in doing this together. In fact, I think it is a wonderful thing that will develop into great bonds between the two of you, but, you have to think of the negative possibilities and have a plan which both you and she can understand.
    I agree with the importance of being extremely prepared when hiking with a child. I carry enough gear and food to take care of the both of us for two emergency nights out. I carry proper clothing for rain, snow, and sunshine, in addition to emergency blankets, bivy sacks, a water purifier, tools, compass, etc. etc. My pack weighs a friggin' ton, if you ever see me on a trail you'll see what I mean. I envy all those other hikers who pass us by who have on a little ole' backpack.

Alex knows how to follow cairns and trail marks, and she knows how to read the map. She has her own pack with some emergency stuff in there, in addition to all the just-in-case stuff I have in my own pack. She also knows what to do and what not to do in the extremely improbable event of a bear or moose attack (at least, she knows what the so-called experts say to do, who knows if it would actually work). She knows how to use our water purifier, she knows the importance of wearing the right kind of clothes.

Believe me, I have the utmost respect for the Whites. I am very close to someone who became lost many years ago out there and barely survived. If anything, I am overly cautious about stuff.
    Last edited by TrishandAlex; 08-04-2008 at 09:22 PM.