Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Multiple trips this summer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ashland, NH
    Posts
    368
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts

    Default Multiple trips this summer

    I've been very remiss in my posting of our trips this summer. Before STP, we had three trips up 4000-footers without any views at all.

    Any day in the woods is better than the alternative, so here are our most recent trips (besides the glorious day on STP):

    Back at the end of June, we hiked Mt Moriah in the fog.

    Then, in early July, as part of our "training regimen" with Debi, we did Carter Dome and South Carter in the drizzle.

    Later, as we prepared for STP, we hiked Mt Flume via the Osseo Trail. This one had the added excitement of *lightning*. Oooooh. Aaaah. Oh wait, that's fireworks.

    Last weekend, we decided NOT to try a peak when Kevin on WMUR was predicting thunderstorms. We did a nice easy walk to Thoreau Falls via Zealand. The weather was decent for most of the day! This is a hike that I would definitely recommend!

    That's all our recent trips. Tim is freaked because last year we got about 25 "checkmarks" during the summer. This year, we've only gotten a couple so far. I'm just happy to be walking 10 or 12 miles each weekend. I don't care if we're doing previously-climbed mountains from new directions or if we're walking into a pond for a nice lunch.

    Valerie

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,994
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 243 Times in 126 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim&Val View Post
    That's all our recent trips. Tim is freaked because last year we got about 25 "checkmarks" during the summer. This year, we've only gotten a couple so far. I'm just happy to be walking 10 or 12 miles each weekend. I don't care if we're doing previously-climbed mountains from new directions or if we're walking into a pond for a nice lunch. Valerie
    Any hike is a good hike as long as you get home safe. A little rain or missing a 4k isn't so bad. I once had an ambition to be a peakbagger but am now much happier being out there and enjoying all the aspects of every hike. Hiking to Thoreau Falls can certainly be as good (or better) than knocking off a peak with a tough hike and no view. It's all about what makes you happy (which is different for everyone of course). And 10-12 miles each weekend sounds pretty great from here. Wish it was easier for us to sneak more in but we take advantage when we can and when we can't we spend our time planning the next big trip and living vicariously through everyone else's trip reports and photos. Thanks for sharing yours - we always enjoy them!
    Mark

    Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir


    Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kingston,NH
    Posts
    2,174
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 349 Times in 176 Posts

    Default Great reports!

    Nice pics, too! Some of our most memorable hikes went without views. Isolation in the rain, Jude and Emma's first Bond Traverse with 1/4 mile visibility. You just have to go back and see what you've missed!

    You're the first people I've ever heard that actually enjoy the Wilderness Trail! Usually it's a long, monotonous, boring trudge after crossing the Bonds or returning from Owl's Head. By then my as_ is always dragging and winds up full of splinters from all those damn RR ties!

    KDT

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ashland, NH
    Posts
    368
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    Wish it was easier for us to sneak more in but we take advantage when we can and when we can't we spend our time planning the next big trip and living vicariously through everyone else's trip reports and photos.
    MARK! You've got to be kidding! Looking at your fantastic, multi-day adventure, we were all living vicariously through you! Did you see our fogged in summits??????

    Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    You're the first people I've ever heard that actually enjoy the Wilderness Trail! Usually it's a long, monotonous, boring trudge after crossing the Bonds or returning from Owl's Head.
    KDT
    Kevin, to clarify my position on LW
    1.) It's not a favorite piece of trail, but at least it's usually over relatively quickly.
    2. ) When we meet people on the LW trail who are obviously NOT traveling anywhere *beyond* LW - just out for a walk on the railroad ties, and they are in the rain, and grumpy, I think to myself "why bother????" IF YOU AREN'T ENJOYING IT, WHY DO IT?????

    That slogan works for everything but "work".
    Valerie

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,994
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 243 Times in 126 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim&Val View Post
    MARK! You've got to be kidding! Looking at your fantastic, multi-day adventure, we were all living vicariously through you! Did you see our fogged in summits??????
    I did indeed. As I said at the end of my trip report we have been truly blessed the past 2 years with 2 weeks of bluebird days and absolutely spectacular hikes. If I never hiked another day in my life these could hold me. But we are far enough away from the mountains that we love that we only get to do it a few times year (which I am still incredibly thankful for). This is why on the other 48 or so weeks I get so much joy from seeing the adventures of everyone else here in those mountains. If it weren't for all of you it would be a lot longer between hikes for us. Please keep doing it every time you can - sun or fog, sweeping 360 degree views or treed tangled summits. And whatever it is, share it with us and we'll all be there with you!
    Mark

    Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir


    Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •