Thread: Hiking 8/11/08 to 8/15/08

Thanks

Default Hiking 8/11/08 to 8/15/08

I hope to hike the presidential range next week but the weather sucks. weather.com is predicting T-storms the entire week. The rain doesn't bother me but standing above tree line during lighting is just too risky. My friends and I want to go for three days and camp out 2 nights but I don't know if it's worth it. What do you guys suggest.

Thanks

I suggest not using weather.com. Use WEATHER.GOV

Read the text forecasts and if you can find it read the forecast discussion for your area. Its all in the details. A chance of thunderstorms is very common in the summer. Get your hiking in early and setup camp by early afternoon.

If you can't find the discussion let me know, I'll dig up the link. Finding it yourself though is like teaching a man to fish.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subflood View Post
    I hope to hike the presidential range next week but the weather sucks. weather.com is predicting T-storms the entire week. The rain doesn't bother me but standing above tree line during lighting is just too risky. My friends and I want to go for three days and camp out 2 nights but I don't know if it's worth it. What do you guys suggest.
    I'm not a guy, but I'd suggest a good map in hand, and a long visit at
    http://www.hikesafe.com/

There is no camping above treeline, anywhere in the WMNF, so you have to plan your daily distance gain around where you will find space for overnight. Also have to adjust your hiking time to seek camping below treeline, then hike back UP to regain the traverse elevation.

You can't ever plan for good weather in the Whites, ( must always be expecting something else). This weather pattern may be unfamiliar to you, but is exactly in line with the Daily Higher Summit Weather that changes on a dime or in an instant.

Contact the AMC for overnight availability at Lake of the Clouds Hut or Madison Spring Hut. Look at the Randolph Mountain Club web site for other possibilities. ( Google will help you)

No One Other Than You can answer the question " is it worth it". It is a trip that requires you to be your own travel guide, agent, broker, outfitter, supplier, and weather reader. If YOUR plan is the least bit faulty and/or things go badly, you may even have to be your own rescue provider.

If that puts a new pleat in your kilt, PLEASE consider this a Public Service Advisory.

Breeze

Thanks

I agree with the common prediction of thunderstorms in NH all summer. One thing for sure is that you can't look too far ahead. The forecast will almost surely change each day. Last year 4 days before our planned 5 day hike the forecast was for a rain and t-storms for the entire period. By the day before the hike the forecast had done a 180 and we wound up with 5 straight perfect days. It could just as easily have gone the other way. Bottom line is that if you are going to be discouraged by a long range forecast best not to plan summer hikes in the Whites. You do need to be fully prepared if you are going to be above treeline though. Make sure to have bailout routes well planned in advance if the worst happens. When the weather cooperates it sure is worth it (and even in bad weather it can be great as long as you stay safe).
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page