Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: where to live

Thanks

When on vacation in Maine in 1988 we found a lot on the lake across from where we were staying. Bought it - designed our log cabin and moved in Labor Day 1991. It was to be our weekend, vacation, to become our retirement home.

On the way back to NY after a wonderful first Christmas in the cabin (with almost no furniture) we realized we liked the cabin so much we sold the house in NY and moved to Maine. Since then we have had a small townhouse by work and our real home is in Maine. The weekend in Maine started as 2 days - then 3 days. The normal routine from NY was drive north Thursday after work - Friday was work at home - Sat & Sunday in Maine - then drive to NY starting at 12:30 AM Monday morning. So, where I was Monday night did not matter but happened to be by work. Tuesday and Weds we were in the place by work. The rest of the time we were in Maine. It was a great schedule till my work moved to NC.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    What you're looking for doesn't exist in the Northeast.

KDT
    This was funny yet very true. Thats why I had to move from VT to RI. Needed work.
    Think Snow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donnellyvj View Post
    This was funny yet very true. Thats why I had to move from VT to RI. Needed work.
    I loved living in VT.
    Think Snow

Thanks

Living in NH is fun, personally I love it. I live down in the southern part of NH, in Goffstown. I moved here from Connecticut, but have also lived out west in Arizona for a bit. For the most part people are friendly. I have convenient access to civilization, such as: Grocery Store, Big-Box Stores, the mall etc... At the same time I can easily get away to the woods (state parks, white mountains) with a quick drive. I kind of feel like the woods are my back yard with that short drive. Remember though, that it snows up here, and we get pounded (at least if it's like last winter). This can be a good or bad thing depending on who you are. I like to snowboard, so I consider it a good thing.

Also, the mentality up here is very much reflective of the State Motto: "Live Free or Die." That's why there's a lack of taxes, no seatbelt law(if you're over 18), no cell phone while driving law. Many laws aren't attempted that restrict personal freedoms as they conflict with the state motto and way of thinking. One of the biggest controversies recently was putting a speed limit on Lake Winnepesaukie.

As for work, I suppose that depends what you do, or are looking to do. I work in Higher Ed. and personally love it.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex View Post
    I know the worst state to live in. New Jersey. They say the overall best place to live is Arizona but just not for me. New England to me is the best hands down. Best people, best sports teams, best food, best weather. I will leave New Jersey one day and move to New England. Gorham is looking very inviting. Nothing like a town having a hiker on their elementary school sign. It also helps that it is an A.T. trail town. Looked at some home prices there also and they seemed very reasonable.
    I don't think that NJ is the worst state to live in, I've lived here all of my life and do like it. It's not all parkway and smelly turnpike that most think, though I do work in a chemical plant, LOL. And we have really Great shore lines, especially south like Wildwood and Cape May. And I totally disagree on the best sports team, I love my Yankees!!

But I'm a country girl at heart, I would love to out to somewhere with a slower pace, lots of trees and wildlife. I've vacationed many time in NH and am in total Love with it, it's such a relaxed and peaceful feeling when I'm there. In the early 90's I almost bought a condo or house up there, but was talked out of it by my Mom and Dad because of the distance, if only....

My Big Dream is to have a bed and breakfast in the Whites and the most important topic of the day would be the weather on Mt. Washington...

Thanks

"rockin rex

I know the worst state to live in. New Jersey. They say the overall best place to live is Arizona but just not for me. New England to me is the best hands down. Best people, best sports teams, best food, best weather."

your right to hot in arizona for me

"donnellyvj
    This was funny yet very true. Thats why I had to move from VT to RI. Needed work."

well work should not be the problem as long as me or my wife have a job with insurance

"wcummings
    no cell phone while driving law.
    "

this is funny i see more people on phones in states that do not allow it
    i would like to be a little bit away from things but the wife wants to be close to stores and a hospital i say if i die in the country thats fine better then in the hospital

thanks for all your ideas
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Default Go NH!

We moved from Wilmington, DE to Ashland, NH in 2005. It was like night-and-day difference. I used to drive on I-95 to work each morning in 5 lanes of 70mph traffic. Now, we live in a town that doesn't even have a stop light.

There is definitely a mentality that comes with the state motto. There is quite a difference between NH and VT when it comes to "culture".

If you want to understand folks from NH, read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Know-Youre-Ham.../dp/0762738138

Tim bought it for me when we moved here.

Valerie

P.S. "No cell phone while driving" is irrelevant if there's no signal. Before we moved here, I couldn't imagine not using it. Now, I only turn it on when I'm traveling back to civilization on business (which I dislike intensely).

Thanks

Having lived in Joisey for 5 years (exit 8), I can say with certainty that residing in NH is leaps & bounds nicer, at least in the Mount Washington Valley. Jersey does have its (nice) places, but the frame of mind just doesn't compare.

Living in Maine (& shopping in NH) is probably ideal for someone that is retired as overall the taxes may work out to your advantage. Also, if you are an entrepreneur, Maine has some wonderful grants for smal businesses. And don't forget the coast...

NH's frame of mind is hard to beat. Even going a few miles down the road into Maine, you sense a difference (of course, Mainer's probably say the same thing). The combination, density, and easy access to lakes, mountains, skiing, ... in the MWV region is also hard to find elsewhere.

Vermont is too far from the coast for me, but would likely appeal to anyone seeking to live in the country as well.

Bottom line, pick a place, move, then explore the region and see what you lke best. Best decision I ever made (disclaimer: wife said that it is "one of" the best decisions I ever made).

Thanks

Charlie. Do you have one state that you would lean towards?
    Think Snow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donnellyvj View Post
    Charlie. Do you have one state that you would lean towards?
    new Hampshire would first

i would stay away from a tourist area i live close to one now and i stay away from it . i dont want to live so far from things although i could live like grizzle Adams did

i like the idea about renting first thanks
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for