Thread: Mt. Tom and Mt. Field (success!)

Thanks

Default Mt. Tom and Mt. Field (success!)

This is copied from our hiking blog (http://trishandalex.blogspot.com/). You can find pictures there to accompany this narrative.

In addition to what I wrote below, we encountered many lovely people yesterday. It was a very pleasant day indeed.

And I hope everyone else got out yesterday! The weather was gorgeous.

Avalon Trail, A-Z Trail, Tom Spur Trail, Willey Range Trail, Mt. Field spur, then Avalon Trail back down to car.

Total miles: 7

Alex has been wanting to do Mt. Field for some time now, since she finds it amusing that a mountain is called "Field." This mountain is named after Darby Field, the first recorded person to climb Mt. Washington.

Mt. Tom is right next to Field, and the two together make a relatively easy hike.

We parked at the Crawford Notch depot and crossed the train tracks, arriving at the trailhead just after 7am.

The first 1.3 miles of the Avalon trail is a very lovely, mellow hike. It's rather flat and rambles along a nice river with pretty waterfalls. The path also crosses the water a few times.

Alex and I barely broke a sweat on this part, moving quickly (for us) up to the A-Z Trail intersection.

The A-Z trail was not as easy as the first part of the Avalon. It was a moderately steep climb interspersed with a few flat bits.

After a mile, we came to the Tom Spur Trail.

The spur trail climbed at easy grades, except for one little bit near the top.

On the way up, Alex saw this blown over tree and thought the roots looked like an octopus. It DID look like an octopus. Cool.

We reached a false summit on Tom. There was a path leading left and a path leading right. To the left was a cairn marking the true summit.

Wasn't much of a view from the summit itself. If you stood and peered over the trees, you could see a little bit...

Alex took a couple of pictures too.

Alex changed into a short-sleeve shirt, as we were now feeling a bit toasty.

We then went back to the false summit and took the other short trail to a fantastic look-out point.

After taking in the views, we returned down the Tom Spur Trail, then walked a few yards further along the A-Z Trail until we came to the Willey Range Trail (which takes you to Mt. Field).

The Willey Range Trail from the A-Z to Mt. Field is extremely easy. It never got steep, just continued along in a gentle fashion the entire .9 miles.

There was a 100 yard uphill climb (not a big deal) to the summit, and then there we were, on top of Mt. Field. A nice lady who was there with her husband and dog took our picture.

The summit is completely treed in, but there was a little dirt path to a blown-down area which afforded a view.

From here, many people go and tackle a third summit which is close by, Mt. Willey. It's 1.4 miles away from the summit of Field. I asked Alex if she wanted to do that, stressing it would add about three miles to our trip. I told her I was game if she was, or we could call it a successful day and head back down. She said she didn't think she had enough energy to do Willey today, and asked if we could do that one another time. I said of course! And we headed down.

From Mt. Field, we took the Avalon path. This top part, which we had not traversed earlier, was very rocky and steep. I was glad we were going down this path instead of coming up it. 1.5 miles of unrelenting rock slabs down down down. We passed the sign for Mt. Avalon (not a 4000 footer) but we decided not to take the short detour. We were both tired and ready to get back to the easier part of Avalon, the bit after the A-Z intersection. Finally we got down the hard part, and came upon a group of nice hikers eating their lunch by the sign at the intersection. One of the women offered to take our picture.

From here, it was an easy 1.3 mile walk back to the trailhead.

This brings our total to 9 peaks!
    Last edited by TrishandAlex; 08-24-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks

It sounds like a good day
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

great pics and trail report thanks for sharing them with us

joe
    im a summit club member now

Thanks

Good job! Congrats! Thanks!
    ~Rich

Thanks

Way to go! Glad you had a great time.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Wink

Hey Trish!

Upon closer inspection of the photos, I see you keep a wonderful can of Counter Assault tightly strapped to your hip! Feel a little safer from the ax man now? And bears too!
    ~Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Hey Trish!

Upon closer inspection of the photos, I see you keep a wonderful can of Counter Assault tightly strapped to your hip! Feel a little safer from the ax man now? And bears too!

Yes, I do feel safer. It was you who recommended that, yes? Thanks, I do like to carry it with me.

[Though I have found it rather ineffective against lightning.]
    Last edited by TrishandAlex; 08-25-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks

Great TR and pics. Glad you guys had a better day than on the prior attempt. Next time you're up there make sure to take the spur up to Avalon though (I understand why you skipped it at the end of a tiring day). It's only about 100 yards and the summit of Avalon - even though it isn't a 4k - has one of the best views in the area. Perhaps when you go back to bag Willey
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Yeah, I did that back in May. Lovely view, but the snow made it a lot harder then it would have been otherwise. Not quite strong enough to support you, so you'd sink to your waist.

Still, glad you ladies enjoyed it. Did you see that friendly little gray jay at the top of Tom?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe View Post
    . Did you see that friendly little gray jay at the top of Tom?
    You know, we looked for that jay. Even brought some crackers and stood there with our hands open for a while. He/she never showed. Maybe we'll see him at Willey some day..?