Thread: From last weekend Tripyramids 8/17/08

Thanks

Default From last weekend Tripyramids 8/17/08

North Tripyramid 4180’ and Middle Tripyramid 4140’

11 miles 3000’ Elevation gain

Kevin and some others

When you get to be my age sometimes doing things, even things that you love to do, can start to seem a little stale at times. So, you have to push yourself a little harder to get started, but then, once you get rolling you begin to ask yourself,"Gee, why was it so hard to get going on this?"and you answer yourself, "Well, because it's the same old same old, and I wish it had some variation once in a while." Well, for me at least, this weekend had just enough variation to make it fun again. There was enough youthful exuberance to wear off on me and seeing the smiling faces and happy chatter was good medicine for a guy that was starting to feel kind of old and worn down. My wife, dog and I have done hundreds of hikes where it's just the three of us trudging through the woods, struggling to get up to the peaks, enjoying the wilderness as it was meant to be, quiet and solitary, and I love that, and I missed it somewhat this weekend, but having the opportunity to experience it a different way was also a good thing, and I got to join in what was a real fun time. A large group of folks met up at Osceola Vista Campground over the weekend, some coming, some going, most with the intent of hiking the Mount Tripyramid Trail up the North Slide, then over to Middle Tripyramid to join Jason and Rebecca on their 47th and 48th 4000 footers on Sunday. Being such a large group we started out at different times, each group hiking at their own pace, and obviously, everyone making the somewhat difficult ascent of the North Slide at their own speed. Being good hiking buddies, we all waited at the top of the slide to make sure that everyone had made it. Several other, albeit smaller, groups of hikers joined us. Now we appeared to be a throng, so again, after pictures, drinks and food we broke up into smaller groups and continued the short hike to the summit of North Tripyramid, where naturally, we regrouped again. This, unfortunately, is where the Forest Ranger came along and found us, and he took his opportunity to explain to us that we were breaking the rules by being in a group of more than ten in a wilderness area, which, of course, we all realized. So, again, we broke into smaller groups and did our best to maintain a quarter mile between us as we scurried over to Middle Tripyramid where, unintentionally, of course, we all gathered again for a few minutes to celebrate R and J finishing their 4000 Footer lists. There were presents and hugs and handshakes and smiles all around. There were a couple of smaller groups trying to enjoy some lunch when we showed up. Everyone hikes their own hike, which we proved in a big way on this one. We regrouped on South Tri and did a little more celebrating before heading down the South Slide in smaller groups. The hike back to Livermore Road went by quickly with plenty of chatter and good company, and we hiked at a good pace back along the road and back to the parking area. From there we regrouped at Mad River Tavern where we took over a room and had a very good meal, more libations and good service. We shared more stories and jokes, then our fellowship parted ways and went back to our not as much fun lives outside of the mountains. Thanks everyone for taking me in and making me feel at home with you!

Pictures here:

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns40...mids81708.html

KDT

Thanks

That sounded like a lot of fun! And beautiful, gorgeous pictures. Thank you for sharing that story.

Congrats to the finishers!

Thanks

Looks like everyone had lots of fun. I agree with Trish&Alex Beautiful pictures!! And Congrats to Jason and Rebecca!!
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

That looks like a good climb to do in the winter. And of course, a good climb then, too.

But you said there was a forest ranger out there, on some of the more remote mountains of the region. That struck me as a little surprising - how many are there? I saw one on Washington on the Fourth, but figured they'd made special arrangement or something seeing how incredibly popular the mountain was that day. You don't really think of them being in the middle of nowhere like that.

And if you ever find yourself besieged by the humdrum and stale again, just invite me along and I'll do my best to brighten up your day with youthful enthusiasm. This little guy would be happy to come along too.

Thanks

What a gorgeous day!! Beautiful pictures as always! Congratulations to Jason and Rebecca!

Regarding the rangers, besides in Tuckerman Ravine in winter, we've only seen them a couple times in all our hiking... and once was on the trail between North and Middle Tripyramid. Coincidence?

Valerie

Thanks

Default North Slide

"That looks like a good climb to do in the winter."

Acrophobe

Yeah, but a whole 'nuther story! I climbed these badboys last winter, skipped the slides, and it was one of the hardest hikes I've ever done. Might try North Slide this winter.

Well, the rangers are out there. I don't recall ever seeing any other than Crawford Path or Tucks. Just our luck one would show up when we were breakin' the rules. Our bad! He was polite and could have been a hard ass, but wasn't I'm glad they're out there to enforce the rules. Too often too many of them get broken, and it does ruin the wilderness experience. Despite this being a special occasion, we should have made more effort to abide by the 10 person rule. After our encounter we did break up into smaller groups (again) and tried to keep a good 1/4 mile between us.

KDT

Thanks

Kevin, when does the 10 person rule not apply? Camp groups are quite often more than 10.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Wilderness Rules

The 10 person rule applies to the designated wilderness areas. These are clearly defined on the AMC maps, not sure about others. The entire Tripyramid Range lies within the Sandwich Range Wilderness. More later.

KDT