Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with route planning in Sandwich Range please

Thanks

Default Water

You're right. You won't find any water after you start gaining elevation until you are well on your way back down. From Passaconaway to North Tri there is nothing. Carry plenty.

KDT

Thanks

Default Water sources?

Hmm. I thought I could get a little farther than that! It looks like there may be a water source at the junction of the Downes Brook and Kate Sleeper trails, no? I'll take your word for it since I have not been there. We plan to have 4-6 quarts between two of us - do you think that will be sifficient?

Thanks

Default Right again!

Sorry, missed this:

"The only sure water on or near the Kate Sleeper Trail is on the Downes Brook Trail just north of the junction between the two trails in the sag between Whiteface and the Sleepers."
    WMG

Be sure to filter it! 4 to 6 qts. should be enough, you can get more as you descend Sabbaday.

KDT

Thanks

Default Thanks!!

As promised, here's our trip report - Sandwich Range 9/20-22

It looks like we picked the perfect weekend for the hike! We started on Oliverian Brook and ascended Passaconaway and Whiteface. We got a little turned around at one point on the OB trail where the blue markers went to the right and the trail continued along a logging road on the left. There was a marker on the tree where someone scratched “OT” and pointed to the left, but we ignored it. Don’t ignore that. It only set us back about a ½ hour, but 30 minutes nonetheless. We also lost about an hour along the Passaconaway Cutoff, since we were not expecting the ascent to start so early, and I complain a lot when I have to go “up.”

We left in the morning with 6 quarts of water and 2 pairs of stiff legs between the both of us and headed up the South Slide and over to the Middle Tripyramid. We dropped our packs at the junction of Sabbaday Brook Trail to ascend the North and it was such a relief! A fellow hiker told us to enjoy our “walk” and we had to laugh at how funny we must have looked coming down the North Tripyramid with only a camera and an empty Nalgene bottle.

After picking up our packs of lead, we headed down the Sabbaday Brook to our second night’s campsite. That Sabbaday Brook trail is very tricky to descend with full packs - we did not anticipate the steepness of that trail either, and we had to really take our time. Just as our knees were about to buckle after the past 2 days, we finally found the perfect campsite right past the 2nd brook crossing. It felt like heaven.

The weekend couldn’t have been more awesome and it’s inspired us to plan a one-nighter for next weekend. We’ll probably ask for some advice on that trip, since we found so much help for this one.

Thanks for everyone’s advice on the water and the addition of the Tripyramids - you really made our weekend.
    Pics here if you’re interested:
    http://www.jeffandlisacc.com/gallery...hlightId=13593

Thanks

Default Thats great!

Glad you had good weather and a good time! You'll always remember these trips.

KDT

Thanks

Wonderful photos! It was like being on the hike with you. Thanks for taking us along.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Great pictures it looks like you guys had perfect weather for a great hike. I really like the waterfall photos. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks

Looks like a great hike! I didn't think open fires were permitted? Thanks for sharing.
    ~Rich

Thanks

Nice TR and pictures! I'm glad you had such clear views and nice weather. I especially like the picture of the cairns by the brook/river.

Thanks

Default Fires

Well, yeah, fires are permitted under certain restrictions and outside of certain areas, but the general philosophy nowadays is LNT.

http://www.lnt.org/programs/principles.php

KDT