Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tropical Storms/Hurricanes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    With that kind of winds you all should be concerned about some of the weaker trees and branches falling as well as Isolated tornadoes and power outages. Of course, lots of rain and some flooding as well.

Back in the 80's, when Gloria came through CT I can remember the trees that went down and all the flooding. We had a dam break that re-designed the golf course in town.
    A few years ago when TD Humberto came through we had the worst power outages since Gloria.

Now the center of Hanna is forecast to go to our east which will minimize the southerly winds. The track will play an important role into what kind of winds we will see.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

A place I was going to state classes at until today, that houses the fuel asst office, and a few other places here in Tamworth, is supposed to have a little outside fun day this coming weekend to show families what all services are in the building, and I was making the popcorn for sale. If Hanna hits saturday or sunday or both, it will be a dud, and they will have to re schedule the event. I am not gunna take our commercial popcorn machine out in the rain for anybody!!!
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

The NOGAPS has Hanna skirting the coast of Florida before making landfall somewhere between GA an SC. If this is the case the same areas already suffering from Fay will get hit again.

It will also give me a good excuse to go back to Jacksonville.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Looks like it will go just off the coast of NJ too, but probably as a tropical storm at that point. Starting to make arrangements for boats, etc., just in case...

Would be nice to get some "weather" without having to travel to Mount Washington... :-)

Thanks

Although Hanna looks terrible this morning, she still has a good circulation. She continues to encounter shear. She may be so displaced that her effects are felt over where I live.
    Steve

Thanks

I am....
    whitestar505

"Over Fifty years of caring and loving Cocker Spaniels"

Thanks

Here's wishing you all stay safe and dry, and that there isn't any damage to your town or property.

I've never experienced a hurricane, and can't imagine what it must be like to be in one, or not too far from one. So I hope today and this weekend bring nothing but some wimpy moisture and a few light winds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrishandAlex View Post
    So I hope today and this weekend bring nothing but some wimpy moisture and a few light winds.
    Wish that someplace else. I'm hoping we get nailed! I don't like Mount Washington just because they get nice sunsets. At worst its going to be a bad nor'easter with the leaves still on the trees.

The center of circulation is still forecast to move directly over my area. Good, but not ideal. I expect tropical storm watches in the next few hours.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I've already got tropical storm watches here, and sustained winds of 40 to 50 knots are predicted, probably Saturday night into Sunday...

I too will be disappointed if we don't get a "good" storm...

Ed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrishandAlex View Post
    Here's wishing you all stay safe and dry, and that there isn't any damage to your town or property.

I've never experienced a hurricane, and can't imagine what it must be like to be in one, or not too far from one. So I hope today and this weekend bring nothing but some wimpy moisture and a few light winds.
    With all due respect Trish, there are a few of us crazy people who want to be in the center of a hurricane. We don't like loss of life, but the first hand experience of what one of these things can do is so fascinating we can't help but wish it hits us good and hard.

I do hope you all stay safe, but I hope you get something to enjoy!

As for us, we are looking at the possibility of getting hit hard by Ike. The current forecast track send him up the western side of Florida over water, which could potentially nail the Panhandle of Florida, putting me on the east side of the storm.

Time will tell, we shall see.

I will say that if it is going to come in as a cat 3 or higher over my area, I will not be staying in my house. I will get away just far enough to experience it yet safely.
    Steve