Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Tropical Storms/Hurricanes

Thanks

That's pretty much it.

You need some sort of catalyst to bring the higher winds from aloft down to the surface
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    That's pretty much it.

You need some sort of catalyst to bring the higher winds from aloft down to the surface
    So a hurricane out to sea has high surface winds because the winds are unobstructed. When the system makes landfall those surface winds become disrupted and slowed due to interaction with land, trees, and buildings, yet the winds aloft are not so they maintain there velocity for a longer period of time.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

My mom is just about 10 miles from Galveston, TX which is in the line of fire for Hurricane Ike. I called her tonight, and she isn't going to be stubborn and ride this one out. She is taking her time leaving (tomorrow morning) but she IS leaving. Galveston had a mandatory evacuation today. Her son in law is up the road about 15 miles more, and they are at least in a house, my mom is in a trailer. She thinks she will be heading to my sisters house though, it is in Dickinson, which is 40 miles inland from the gulf. They do have a bayou behind the house, but the water will have to rise pretty high for it to reach their house on the hill. I will let you know how she is, as soon as I hear from her.
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

Default Ouch!

Will keep my fingers crossed for your mom. Galveston and surrounding areas are getting pounded! Maybe not as bad as it could be, but still not good. 20 foot storm surge? No thanks! Give me a good ol' blizzard!

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MsCntry View Post
    My mom is just about 10 miles from Galveston, TX which is in the line of fire for Hurricane Ike. I called her tonight, and she isn't going to be stubborn and ride this one out. She is taking her time leaving (tomorrow morning) but she IS leaving. Galveston had a mandatory evacuation today. Her son in law is up the road about 15 miles more, and they are at least in a house, my mom is in a trailer. She thinks she will be heading to my sisters house though, it is in Dickinson, which is 40 miles inland from the gulf. They do have a bayou behind the house, but the water will have to rise pretty high for it to reach their house on the hill. I will let you know how she is, as soon as I hear from her.
    I'm sure she will be fine there. As long as she is far enough away from the storm surge I think she is ok. The big factor in this storm will be all the water and waves. I hate to think about what will become of those who decided to ride out the storm on or close to Gaveston Island.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    Will keep my fingers crossed for your mom. Galveston and surrounding areas are getting pounded! Maybe not as bad as it could be, but still not good. 20 foot storm surge? No thanks! Give me a good ol' blizzard!

KDT
    Thank you hun. As soon as I hear from her I will let you know!! I told Joe if it weren't for my meds I don't think I would be sleeping tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    I'm sure she will be fine there. As long as she is far enough away from the storm surge I think she is ok. The big factor in this storm will be all the water and waves. I hate to think about what will become of those who decided to ride out the storm on or close to Galveston Island.
    Thank you also. On another group i belong to, one of the ladies has a friend who is actually staying in Galveston to ride out the storm. SHE IS NUTS!!! My moms home is 10 miles in from the shore, but still very prone to flooding. She said she was sure she could get high enough on her kitchen table to get away from the water, but it was the winds she was worried about. She lives in a mobile home. Even though it has telephone poles around it with a solid roof on top of them, it doesn't totally protect the mobile home.
    Last edited by MsCntry; 09-12-2008 at 10:29 PM.
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Thanks

Diane, I'm very glad your mom is NOT riding out the storm. Please do let us know how she is.

Thanks

Well, the most I can say is that she is alive, thank god!!! She tried to call me about 2pm EST, and her phone cut out. I think she said her mobile home, though 4 ft off the ground, sustained water damage inside. She said she lost something, but that is when the phone cut off. The main thing is that she is ok, that is all that matters to me. She can stay with family until they get her home livable again. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, they were greatly appreciated!!

Much Love, Diane
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Thanks

UPDATE on Mom: She called back about 6:15pm She was sitting in her truck numb from the days events. There was a foot of water damage, mud, and mold in the trailer. The winds ripped the solid awning off of the telephone poles surrounding her trailer. She lost her tractor and her barn. Basically she lost everything. Her house is no longer livable she says. My sister is going to let her stay with her, until she can see what FEMA can do for her.
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Thanks

Default Awful!

When we see or hear about this on the TV and Radio we are usually detached and can't appreciate what it's like to lose everything. This is something that hits you directly, and we all feel very sorry for your mom, and how it must make you feel.

We'll all keep her in our thoughts and pray that she can recover from this.

So sorry!

KDT