Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: washington

Thanks

Smile washington

I'm planning to hike mt.washington this coming weekend and was wondering if anyone had a trail preferance.

i was planning on the ammounuce to jewll trail rather than tuckerman..
    mainly because it starts 900ft higher and appears to be not as difficult than the ravine and headwall.

also,what are some suggestions for equipment and clothing to bring/wear?the weather appears to be nice according to weather stations.i also know taht can change quickly.

Thanks

That is a good trail option.

Its starting to get cold up on the summit. Not sure what the forecast is this weekend, but 60s in the valley could translate to 30s and 40s on the summit.

Hat and gloves are always in my bag, no matter what season it is.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I found the Ammonoosuc trail to be extremely do-able. Those first two miles are a pleasant walk in the woods. The last mile is hard and steep, but then you're above treeline and the hard work is over, at least for the ascent. Crawford Path to Washington's summit is fairly easy if you've got good weather.

Jewell trail down...different story, at least for me. Too many huge boulders to rock-hop on and over, at least for the first two miles. I found the descent really hard until we got to treeline. So for me, the easiest thing by far would be to ascend AND descend using the Ammonoosuc. That's just my opinion, I'm sure there will be many others.

Thanks

Default Ammo

Trish is right, the quickest retreat, and probably the easiest is back down the Ammo. Much less time above treeline if bad weather is approaching. I'm not saying don't go Jewell Trail, just keep the retreat in mind as an option. Also, many get confused looking for the Jewell. You must leave the summit near the northwest corner of the Tip-Top House and descend the Trinity Heights Connector, then north along the Gulfside Trail, you actually start to climb Mount Clay a little before you reach the junction with the Jewell. Avoid the Mount Clay Loop unless you plan to visit the summit of Clay. Give yourself plenty of time as the Jewell can be easy to miss if it gets dark which would leave you out on the Presi's over night. Not good.

Bill is also correct, you can pretty much expect it to be cold and windy regardless of the forecast or temp in the parking lot. Be sure to have layers and plenty of food and water.
    9/22/06 Crawford Path

KDT

Thanks

thanks for the advice.I wasn't aware of the difficulty on the decsent.
    I was lead towards tuckermans too.i'm toggling between the 2 on which route to go.
    i'm sure after hiking all day,i will not want an extream decent.

Thanks

wow,what great advice on the jewl trail.
    i'm thinking after reading what you had to say i might search for another route down.
    i wasn't planning on bringing any overnight gear so a night out on the presi would definitly be bad.
    i have my map spread open wide and i'm looking towards tuckermans and perhaps the other approad of the mountain.

Thanks

thanks bill.
    Hat and gloves,check!
    i have been monitoring the weather via the autoroad section of the site.It always seems to be 20 degrees colder at the summit than at the base...
    i'm crazy excited to the summit though weather permitting

Thanks

what are yer thoughts on ascending via tuckermans--->decsend via Lion's Head or Boott Spur?

Thanks

Default Tuckerman Descent

IMO Tuckerman is a more extreme descent than Jewell, shorter by bout a mile. Once you're down to Hermit Lake it's much easier, but tricky until then.

Bill would tell you none of these meet the extreme criteria, but he's climbed some much bigger mountains.

Do not forge on to make the summit if cold or fatigued. Turn around, it will be there another day. Most get in trouble pushing on when they should have turned back. Have a turn around time that gives you plenty of light to get out safely. Despite a road and a train, there is no guaranty of getting a ticket for either to get down.

KDT

Thanks

I would not call Jewell, Tuckermans or Lions Head descent "extreme". They are slow going in good weather and you have to watch your step or you must step over and around one more rock. If your knees are not used to it you end up going even slower and then you start to get into the end of day and lower light. Days are starting to get a lot shorter now.

I like up Lions Head and down Tuckermans - but I only do it in good weather as you can not see bad weather coming from the west. Going up Ammo and down Jewell I typically do once a year. Going back down Ammo is a great option if you need to. The hardest part on that Ammo-Jewell route for me is the part above treeline from the summit to just after the start of the Jewell. You are really exposed and committed once you are on Gulfside. That is always where bad weather hits for me on that route.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012