Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Franconia Notch - Flags on the 48 - Sept 13, 2008

Thanks

Default Franconia Notch - Flags on the 48 - Sept 13, 2008

We had a great hike with Erich (BlueDog) on Saturday for Flags on the 48. The Lincoln/Lafayette loop (Falling Waters/Franconia Ridge/Old Bridle Path) was extremely busy, but the crowds don't bother us for the special occasions - just like Seek-the-Peak.

Everyone was in great spirits and very friendly!

Trip report can be found here:

http://www.barkeater.ws/NH48/images/...idgeFrames.htm

Valerie

Thanks

Default Awesome!

Wish we could have been there! Great pics, through them I was there! Thanks!

KDT

Thanks

Wonderful TR and photos Val! Glad you guys had as good a day as we did. What a spectacular day to do Franconia Ridge too! We met a group of guys from Ohio on Friday night who were at the end of a week of epic (in a disastrous sort of way) hiking in the Presidentials and were planning to try Franconia Ridge for their final day on Saturday. I'm really happy to see that it was probably their best day and left them with a better overall opinion of how beautiful the White Mountains can be.

It was too bad that we couldn't work out the larger forum group hike but we at least got represented in a couple of smaller groups that had great days. Maybe we can give it a shot again next year.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    It was too bad that we couldn't work out the larger forum group hike but we at least got represented in a couple of smaller groups that had great days. Maybe we can give it a shot again next year.
    I agree! We met a young man named Chris on Lincoln who was one of the organizers for FOT48. We offered up our services next year to carry a flag to any summit where the volunteers bailed at the last minute. Apparently it happens more than you would expect. How about Owl's Head on a day's notice?

I'm so glad that you and Trish & Alex had good weather. We really just kept looking over that direction going "it does NOT look good".

Valerie

Thanks

Great TR and pics Val!! I hope I can get my back to heal so I can start making some of these hikes!!

If not can someone build me some ramps to the summits??
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

Excellent TR and pictures Val. I really wanted to get out there and do a FOT48 but I guess it will wait till next year. It looked like you guys had a wonderful day even thou a little crowded its still great to get out there.

Thanks

Tim and Val -- what great pictures! You had fantastic visibility, that's wonderful. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Diane -- what's up with your back? Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrishandAlex View Post
    Diane -- what's up with your back? Hope you feel better soon.
    hun, unfortunately it was an on the job injury. It happened Jan 2, 2007. I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back. I am only able to walk for 20 minutes max before I have to sit and possibly have a pain pill. I had 2 surgeons say I am not a candidate for surgery, because the discs are sitting on my spinal cord and spinal nerves. Joe is trying to get me back into shape slowly though. http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...ead.php?t=4140 So hopefully next year I can do some hikes, and get back to my fiesty old self again
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Thanks

What a weekend! First, many, many thanks to Tim&Val for hosting me and being my trail guide!

After STP8, Tim&Val heard me express my love of the Whites and kindly invited me to join them on the hike for Flags on the 48. They told me there were many other great peaks and views aside from our beloved Mount Washington. Well, after getting home and spending some time getting my brownie points back in the positive with the wife, I made plans to make the 12 hour drive back up just for this hike.

Friday night Tim, Val and I sat around discussing which mountains and trails to hit. For a bit, it was a bit of the old, "What do you want to do?" "I don't care, what do you want to do?" Not knowing anything in the whole state other than MW, I wasn't much help. With the weather looking iffy we soon had a plan. Franconia Loop and hope for good weather.

I won't rehash Val's TR that she posted, but the weather turned out to be perfect, the trails were scenic, the views were spectacular, the people were warm, and the flags were solemn.

Back home in D.C., they were dedicating the new memorial at the Pentagon, with lots of press coverage and important speakers, photo ops and so forth. However, I felt this memorial was a bit more touching, as it was organized by friends rather than politicians. It may not get wide spread footage on CNN or other media outlets, but maybe that's just as well. Taking time to reflect, exchange "where were you when ..." stories with friends in one of the nations most beautiful regions was just about the best way I could think of to commemorate this day.

Our route, as logged by my GPS:

Flag on Little Haystack:

Flag on Mount Lincoln:

Taking in the beauty:

Flag on Mount Liberty as seen from Haystack:

Full set including some panoramic is on my Flickr site
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Very nice pics Erich!! Great job!!
    Diane
    Summit Club Member