Thread: Direttissima

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Direttissima

Karl generated a lot of interest on this sight when he tried to set the record for the AT. I thought this might be of interest to the folks here. My friend (I say friend even though we are really just acquaintances because everyone he meets he treats as an instant friend), Mats Roing is going to do a north to south Direttissima of the New Hampshire 4000 Footers. He did this last year, too. Basically, this means he will do them all continuously, hiking the distance between mountains as well, with no support, carrying all he needs.

You can follow Mats starting Friday from here:

http://www.instamapper.com/

username: Matsroing

password: hiking

KDT

Thanks

All I can say about these guys is "WOW" to have that kind of stamina is amazing. Of course until I got hurt, Joe and I were planning a 6 month hike on the AT south to north. Hopefully it is still somewhere in the future
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

Haha. Now there's a guy who needs a professional psychiatrist. What a grueling ordeal that would be.

Still, I suppose it would be kinda fun. In an arghh-my-legs-how-can-anything-hurt-this-much kinda way.....

And what did you do, ma'am? Hope it wasn't our beloved Whites that injured you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe View Post
    And what did you do, ma'am? Hope it wasn't our beloved Whites that injured you?
    No hun, unfortunately it was an on the job injury. I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back. I am only able to walk for 20 max before I have to sit and possibly have a pain pill. I had 2 surgeons say I am not a candidate for surgery, because the discs are sitting on my spinal cord and spinal nerves. Joe is trying to get me back into shape slowly though. http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...ead.php?t=4140 So hopefully next year I can do some hikes, and get back to my fiesty old self again
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

i just hope to be in that kind of shape one day. Probably never will be. I'm amazed and a bit envious.

Thanks

I've never met Mats but he seems to be a really good guy. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

Thanks

The 4000 footer club history says that a Direttissima has been done before, but maybe not more than once. This is an amazing undertaking. Best of luck to Mats in making it happen again.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page