Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mt Katherine 9-18-08

Thanks

Post Mt Katherine 9-18-08

Joe finally got a day off, and I had suggested that we head up to the Kancamagus and take on of the side stops that are just little nature hikes. He suggested we do Mt Katherine. I said no pain no gain and said ok. So we loaded up our packs and headed for Ferncroft road. Beautiful sunny day high of 59, it was a perfect day to hike. We didn't get started on the hike until about 2:15-2:30. We parked in the parking area, headed on foot back to Ferncroft, and up to the trail head, which was about 1/2 mile.

We headed up a little road to connect to Pasture Path. About a 1/4 up Pasture Path, he makes the comment "There's no turning back now" So I turned around and started back the way we came He was insistent that I needed both walking poles, as I kept insisting that I didn't So I made him walk with one

We made it up to the crossing at Tilton Spring, only a 1/2 mile to go!! So we took pictures of me at the sign, and along the hike to show I was making it. We got almost to the summit, and he steps off to the side and says he wants me to summit first, since it was my first actual summit What a nice guy!! We got to the top, took some pictures of each other at the summit, then sat down and had a snack while we took pictures of Mt Chocorua and the tractors running in the fields below. We had a few little friends flying around chasing each other. We found what looked to be fox scat several times on the trails, and bear scat on the summit. We were getting ready to head back down, when a beautiful dragonfly caught my eye, so I had to get pics of him first. Then we heard company coming up to the summit, and met two cute, sweet dogs.

The ladies were nice enough to take our picture together, then we chatted for a minute. We were discussing heading back down Red Path, and the ladies mentioned that the dogs were barking at something in the woods, possibly an animal. Joe and I quietly walked back down Red Path, after stopping to take pictures at the signs, and whatever the dogs were barking at was long gone. Oh well it was a wonderful day anyway!! On the way back up Ferncroft Road to the parking area, I was starting to feel the effects of the day, so we stopped by White Lake to see the sunset, then we had Chinese food, and headed home.

Pictures can be found here: http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...view=slideshow
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Give me the outdoors, and I will show you the world!!

Thanks

YAY DIANE!!!!! Good to see you out on the trails! Congrats!

Mt. Katherine... One small step for Diane, one giant leap towards STP 2009!

And just one more exclamation because I didn't think there was enough!
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    YAY DIANE!!!!! Good to see you out on the trails! Congrats!

Mt. Katherine... One small step for Diane, one giant leap towards STP 2009!

And just one more exclamation because I didn't think there was enough!
    ROFL Thanks sweetie. I need all the encouragement I can get LOL.
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Thanks

Great pics. Thank you for sharing. Glad to see you getting out there I planned on going North with my wife and daughter this weekend but my wife was sick. So our anniversary is next Saturday and she wants to go up and get in some hiking weather permitting. What a great way to spend our anniversary.. I am hoping and she is going to try to do STP09 with me. I hope she can. Again Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS View Post
    Great pics. Thank you for sharing. Glad to see you getting out there I planned on going North with my wife and daughter this weekend but my wife was sick. So our anniversary is next Saturday and she wants to go up and get in some hiking weather permitting. What a great way to spend our anniversary.. I am hoping and she is going to try to do STP09 with me. I hope she can. Again Thanks for sharing.
    I think that is a nice way to spend an anniversary also!! Congrats to you both!! Thank you for the support. With my back we have to start small. He thinks I should try Mt Mexico next
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Thanks

Congrats, Diane! It's great you're getting back out there.

Thanks

Diane and Joe, great to see you got out for a hike before it gets cool.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Yesterday was such a beautiful day to be out...you got great shots of the early autumn woods...
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimS View Post
    Yesterday was such a beautiful day to be out...you got great shots of the early autumn woods...
    I was driving from Tamworth to Somersworth for a dr appt today, the early fall colors are nice here, but they are amazing driving between Ossipee and Wakefield!!
    Diane
    Summit Club Member

Thanks

You drive all the way here from Tamworth for a doctor's appointment? Somersworth IS a nice town, I suppose....