Thread: A Sad day for me and Sports

Thanks

Default A Sad day for me and Sports

I'm not sure how many of you are sports fans, but today will be tough for me. I'm a huge baseball fan and Love the Yankees.

For the last decade my friends and I have had a Saturday season package at Yankee Stadium, we've been to so many other games too. But today will be my last in the Stadium, they are knocking it down and building a new one across the street.

Our seats are located in the bottom of the upper deck directly over home plate, six rows from the bottom of the deck. We've had so much fun, met so many people and made life long friends. I've seen so much sports history there, regular season, play off and WS games.

I'm just really sad about it...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KathyC View Post
    Our seats are located in the bottom of the upper deck directly over home plate, six rows from the bottom of the deck. We've had so much fun, met so many people and made life long friends. I've seen so much sports history there, regular season, play off and WS games.
    Although I am not a Yankee fan, (I am a Mets fan), I have great appreciation for all baseball history and know as much or more about the history of the Yankees and the stadium as Yankee fans do, so I understand - I will probably be checking in on tommorrow nights broadcast periodically.
    Just reread your quote above - you have lots to be joyful about as well.
    Tim

p.s. you can look at it this way as well - the new stadium will probably resemble the "old" stadium (1923-1973), more than the current one (1976-2008). Although badly in need of updating, (I remember the old park well) - they removed much of it's character and soul, not to mention the old dimensions when they did the renovation. How many more home runs would Dimaggio have had if death valley wasn't 457ft?
    Last edited by climbabout; 09-20-2008 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks

I've been a Yankee fan all my life but haven't been to the stadium in many years. It is indeed sad to know that I'll never be there again. The end of a American icon...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

All I can say is that they day was really emotional for just about everyone there. We took a bunch of pics. with all of regulars that meet up on Saturdays at our hang out The Yankee Tavern, a block from the Stadium.

It was a great game, 0-0 until the bottom of the 9th when Cano hit one up the middle to win. Lots of cheers and lots of tears, I had a tough time taking my last look and thinking back about so much. Last Saturday I snuck out a token from my seat that means the world to me, I'm going to have it framed along with other momentos that I've already framed in the past.

My greatest game was game 7 of the ALCS 2003, Aaron Boone hitting HR against Boston, my worst is Johnny Damon hitting the grand slam a year later, again ALCS Game 7.

But it's hard to talk about 2001, going back there after 9/11 was really tough for me. Nothing would ever feel the same, it was like life was sucked out of all of us. Going over the bridge looking down the Hudson was unreal to realize what had happened. When a plane passed over, it got quiet, everyone just looked up at it, cringing and you knew what everyone was thinking. I still look up at them to this day and remember. I went to two more regular season games that year, but gave away all of my post season tickets. It was too much for me to take going there. You just didn't realize how we took our way of life for granted.

When I have some time I will try to post some pics. that I have taken from there to show how majestic it was.