Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A good winter campground

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimber View Post
    yeah, I just called and they said the same. They said in December it shouldn't be too crazy busy. I think we will plan to arrive in North Conway early on the 26th and rent some gear my Brother-in-law will need, then we will head up to the visitor center and hopefully there will be some spaces still available to rent. Then we will hike up to the shelter and spend the night and the next day we can wake up and check conditions up higher and see if it is a go. I was told by the AMC that the conditions and predictions for the days weather can be found at the Hermit Lake Shelter.
    Hey, you may have some company up there. We did late November last year and it was a blast (blue bird, high winds, very cold). We were talking about a Xmas trip this year. I am going up October 11th and 12th. I am having a hard time sleeping at night just thinking about it.
    Think Snow

Thanks

How was the snow last November? Is it accurate information about our being able to access summit conditions from the Hermit Lake shelter in winter?
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

Default Hermit

Hermit Lakes Shelter is where the Snow Rangers spend the winter. They are in daily communication with the Obs about conditions above and below.

KDT

Thanks

Thanks KD.
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

Isn't it also true, KD, that one can camp anywhere as long as there is two feet of snow? Suppose there won't be that much snow then, but hypothetically?

And how many people are going with you, iceclimber? Just your brother in law? Bet that'll be fun.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimber View Post
    How was the snow last November? Is it accurate information about our being able to access summit conditions from the Hermit Lake shelter in winter?
    We had a good bit of snow above treeline. Although we didn't need to use our crampons. It was just on edge were using crampons made it harder to walk because Lionshead had not ice over. You may have needed them the next day. You never know. We did set up the 4 season tent inside the shelter. It was a very cold(<10F) and that made the night very nice.
    Think Snow

Thanks

Default Camping

Isn't it also true, KD, that one can camp anywhere as long as there is two feet of snow?
    NO! This is absolutely false! There is NO camping on the east side of Mount Washington except in Hermit Lake Shelters.

(1) No camping is permitted above treeline (where trees are less than 8 ft. tall),
    except in winter, and then only in places where there is at least
    2 ft. of snow cover on the ground—but not on any frozen body of water,
    and not on the east face of Mt. Washington's summit cone from Boott
    Spur to Nelson Crag (the area above Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines,
    including the Alpine Garden area). The point where the above-treeline
    restricted area begins is marked on most trails with small signs, but the
    absence of such signs should not be construed as proof of the legality of
    a site.
    There is also no camping within the boundaries of Mount Washington State Park which excludes any camping on the summit.

KDT

Thanks

Yeah, it will be me and my brother-in-law. I only have a 2 man tent anyway so with our gear it will be just right. Well, we'll be prepared for snow just in case. Thanks.

Thanks

NO! This is absolutely false! There is NO camping on the east side of Mount Washington except in Hermit Lake Shelters.
    Whoops. Good thing I asked, then. Guess I confused it with other parts of the Whites. What about the west side of Washington, though?

And I bet an early winter morning is beautiful above treeline. I oughta try that this year (in one of the legal places, of course).

Good luck on your climb, iceclimber. Hope you enjoy our wovewy widdle state here.

Thanks

Default It's cool...

it's a common misconception. There are certain additional rules for Forest Protection Areas, and the east side of MW is one that falls under the special rules.

The west side is cool, outside of the State Park. The wind keeps a lot of folks from camping above tree-line, though. There are protected areas if you know the mountain. Further north, Edmands Col is a popular spot.

KDT